NAD C542 vs MusicHall 25.2
Jul 11, 2006 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dash

1000+ Head-Fier
I have tracked down two great deals on either of these players. I am currently using a Cambridge D500. It would be used with my MS2s and Head-Five. Any suggestion on either? Im looking for an upgrade. This upgrade will have to hold me over for awhile. I have about a day to decide.
Thanks

Jul 11, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 11
I do not know what price you are considering for either unit, but I am not certain if they would be considered an upgrade, or if they would be considered a somewhat lateral move. Alternately, you could consider either of them an upgrade, but be clear in how much value they are offering you in terms of sound gained relative to $ spent. The reason I suggest this cautious approach is that often times source upgrades offer minimal improvements relative to $ spent.

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 11
have you thought about keeping your current CDP as a transport for a new DAC?

i've not heard the CDP's in question head-to-head, but i've heard them both, and i was impressed with both, so that doesn't help you. i seem to recollect that the Music Hall has the exact same internals as the Onix XCD-99 over at AV123.com, for 300 bucks.

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 11
So would a DAC in the $300-400 + my current CDP place in the $800-1000 standalone CDP range? I need more PRaT, soundstage and resolution. The sound feels shallow almost brittle. I auditioned a EastSound E3. I dont know if thats the exact signature I want, but I heard what I was missing more. I felt more slam and impact that every before out of my admittely noobish system. Any DAC advice is also welcome in this thread.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by daashford0404
So would a DAC in the $300-400 + my current CDP place in the $800-1000 standalone CDP range? I need more PRaT, soundstage and resolution.

I was initially going to recommend a used Rega Planet 2000. But, before I do, might I suggest the following if you are interested in going to DAC route? Would you consider Channel Island Audio's DAC. They offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, albeit with a 10% restocking fee. It has a reputation for an "analog" sound. If it does not meet your needs, then consider the Planet 2000. I have heard the Planet compared with the NAD, and I greatly preferred the Rega. I would personally consider it a step up from the NAD in terms of build and sound quality. There was nothing wrong with the NAD, its just that the Planet 2000 was, in my opinion, that much better. If you really want to swing a few more $, there are a few used Apollo's on the market at Audiogon. Some thoughts for consideration. (And no, I am not affiliated with CI Audio in any way.)

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 11
With regards to the previous post, I'd also like to recommend the Rega Planet.

I used to own a NAD 502 (two of them, actually; the original started to malfunction after about 6-months, so their warrenty replaced the whole-unit). When unit #2 failed (about 1.5 years later), I had it replaced with a 512. It lasted a bit less than 2-years also.

I'm starting to wonder if the 5-2 designation isn't an indicator of how long their players will function properly
blink.gif
?

I have no complaints about the sound quality of NAD CDP's (it is actually far-beyond it's price range), but I have major caveats with the build-quality. I gave my 512 away to my teenage neighbour several years ago, when it started to not play my CD's. NAD's, IMO, require alot of transport/servo service.

I replaced it with a Rotel RCD 1070. It was a great, very-detailed player; but I still, to this day, regret favouring it over the Rega Planet. Now, I'm looking for a Planet also.

IMO, forget the NAD; reach for the stars, and snag yourself a Planet
tongue.gif
!

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 11
If I were in your position I'd definately consider buying a DAC to pair with my Cambridge.

If you decide to mod your Cambridge here's an excellent article which will give you some inspiration I'm sure!

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio/CDP/cdp.html

Jul 12, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 11
If you have the chance to, definitely audition the planet. As long as you enjoy an 'analog' sound, my guess is you'll like it. Who knows, you might end up walking away with an apollo
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 11
well. I pulled the trigger on the Musichall after reading some good reviews. I also like the fact that it can be modded by Underwood HiFi for about $380 bux and then it can really start to push some upper echelon CDPs. It may be a sidestep in its infancy but the clear mod path was attractive. I still think it will be an upgrade.

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Congrats on the new player! I am enjoying mine, quite a bit (lots of bang for the buck). The OPA627 opamp upgrade is popular and easy to do. I replaced them in about 15 min (being careful, of course), with no issues. I found that the upgraded opamps add body/texture to instruments and reduced the digital edge (more realistic - noticable in hand claps, piano...really everything). They are about 100/pr; I purchased mine from Parts Connexion (but I am sure there are a number of places that offer them).

I may end up doing some more upgrades, later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back