NAD C542 V. Cambridge 540C
Jan 2, 2009 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SoliloCey

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking for a good source under $1000, since im looking at getting STAX, Im just wondering which will is the better one. The Cambridge are cheaper so im leaning to that side. but I've heard good things about the NAD, over here the difference in price is $120, is it worth it?

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 9
I absolutely love the C542, and also use it with my stax system. I think they aren't really competitors, more against a 640c I would think. Be sure you like the NAD sound though, I fell in love with it some years ago, but it might not suit everyone.

Cheers

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 9
I found NAD to have more bass(not too much, perfect IMO), and more exciting sound. But not too much. Cambridge is more laid back, brighter, and has louder mechanism. It will suit darker sounding systems more.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking for a good source under $1000, since im looking at getting STAX, Im just wondering which will is the better one. The Cambridge are cheaper so im leaning to that side. but I've heard good things about the NAD, over here the difference in price is $120, is it worth it?

If your budget is under 1000, why limit yourself to these two entry level options? If you look around on Audiogon.com, you'll be surprised at what you can get for under 1K. Nothing against the NAD and CAmbridge - it's just that you can really jump into real high end stuff at your budget. Otherwise, I have a feeling that you'll suffer from major upgraditus soon after jumping at something cheap. Take your time and hold out for something really special.

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 9
I absolutely love the NAD, and now going for $299 it is a steal. Heck, I thought mine was a steal at $475. I am prone to huge cases of upgraditis, and I've never really had it with the C542. Why spend $1K when you can have just as good or better at $299.

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SoliloCey, go to Audiogon and in the clearance they are selling NAD C542 for $299. Good luck.

See: AudiogoN ForSale: NAD C542

right I think there's been some slight misinterpretation. when i said under $1000, I meant AUD$1000(USD700). the NAD over here i can get for at a local store is $669(USD495). Cambridge is $515(USD364). I personally prefer dealing with a shop simply because of support etc.

Though I'll have a look, shipping might be a pain, once had to fork out $100(USD70) to have a pair of vintage shoes shipped over.

EDIT - guys im a student the less i spend for equilvalent quality the better
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 9
oh i just noticed those audiogonz are no good to me, they dont ship overseas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back