NAD C542 Power Cord
Jan 3, 2006 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gtortorella

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone measured the length of the NAD C542 CD player power cord? I am guessing it is six feet (which, for me, is too long), but it has been many years since I have owned an NAD player. Also, is it the basic type of cord that can be rather difficult to flatten out or "unbunch"? One wonders why NAD did not go detachable with this otherwise good player?...

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 8
I just measured mine the best I could without unplugging it and came up with about 5 feet. The cord is pretty basic and is not detachable. However, it does seem to unbunch just fine.

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 8
Yep I was also kinda surprised the NAD's power cord is not detacheable. But I realized that this is the MAJOR issue with the unit of this price/quality ratio. And once you plug it into th wallwart you forget bout it. ;D

Jan 5, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Thank you for your replies, and for giving me a good idea of how long the cord is. I have looked away from the NAD C542 for precisiely this reason--that it does not have a detachable power cable. I have the Music Hall CD25.2, which is in a similar retail price range as the C542, but I have wondered if I should have given the C542 a shot. I have no evidence, though, that the CD25.2 (which does have a detachable) is superior or inferior to the C542, but an audiophile always wonders about these things.

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the reply, jpr703. I figured that the 542 and Music Hall units were close. I opted for the Music Hall, figuring the detachable power cord would make for a nice upgrade in the future. I have tended to lean toward units with detachable cords, as I have heard nice improvements when adding a quality cord. I now have the CD25.2, which I purchased recently. So far, I think it is superior to the CD25, but the CD25 is not too far behind.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I've enjoyed my 542 quite a bit, but I've wondered how it compares to the Music Hall as well. Anyone out there heard both units?

Way back i compared the two players and even had them both on loan for a week. I ended up with the nad for a number of reasons.

The music Hall was boring sounding to the nad's! then again this these days might not be such a bad thing.

the music hall can be had on ebay under the shanling name for MUCH cheaper! and its the same exact cdp...in others words your paying $200 more for the name. Shanling makes the player for music hall and then music hall has to get their cut and the dealers also...look on ebay for the shanling.

the musichall didnt like to read the disc's as easy as the nad did.

the musichall transport was slow and noisy compared to the nad

the musichall is way better built but thats the only thing the music hall had on the nad.

you can easily mod the nad to accept a detachable power cord, but honestly its not worth it.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 8
bhd812: I would be interested to know if you used a 25 or 25.2 in your comparision? I have owned a 25 and currently own a 25.2. My 25.2 runs very quietly, and does not have any problems reading discs. I do not recall these things being issues in the 25, either.

With regard to power cords, I do think they can make a nice difference--especially on lower-priced gear. I remember, some years ago, hearing Arcam's lowest player and being rather unimpressed. With a quality power cable added, I heard a notable improvement. While I have experienced varying levels of satisfaction, I have yet to find a power cable upgrade to be worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back