NAD c542 impressions?
Sep 9, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Vitalstatistix
Thinking of getting one tomorrow. I used to own the c541i, so I'm interested to hear what kinds of improvements have been implemented in the c542.

I am also considering getting one of these, have the C520 at present. What are you being quoted in Sydney?

Sep 10, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Got it for AUD$599 from a Sydney CBD store
smily_headphones1.gif

What Hi-Fi mag has a special mention for the c542:

Quote:

Next up is the £330 C542: visually it's almost identical to the £200 player but sonically there's a distinct increase in performance. However, up against the C541i the C542 sounds better - but not earth-shatteringly so. That said, this fine-tune attempts to improve a Product of the Year winner - never a simple brief.

Detail resolution increases - you hear more of the Spanish guitar in Gladiator's battle track, which thrillingly sets the scene for the warrior's entrance. This gentle rise in performance also applies to attack and bass weight, but the dynamics on offer take a greater step up: crescendos sound superb.
Fortunately this extra bass weight is not at the expense of control - during the Golden Globe-winning soundtrack, the deep bass drums sound firm and solid. Add this lower-frequency excellence to better timing and the result is a romping presentation. The C542 belts out the battle sequence with gusto, and at the same time demonstrates those impressive, far-reaching dynamics. Very exciting stuff.

Switch musical genres and it's a similar story: this machine retains all the characteristics of the previous model - refined high frequencies, tuneful bass and a cohesive presentation - but raises performance levels in all areas just a notch. This is yet another successful NAD tweak - both players improve on their forebears - but which player would we choose? Well, the C542 remains an excellent buy, but the competition is hotting up: check out the new Arcam CD73T on page 29 of the October issue. We reckon the £200 NAD is now even better value. For the money, its combination of great sound and solid build is unbeatable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back