NAD C542 Good Source for HD650 & SXH1?
May 21, 2004 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

whmacs

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
I've got a pair of HD650's on order with my local dealer. These are to replace my HD570's I'm currently using with my Perreaux SXH1 headphone amp. My dealer can also give me a good price on a NAD C542 cd player. Would this be a reasonable match for the HD650's and the SXH1? My other option would be a Cambridge 640C, but this would be arround $100 more than the NAD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen

May 21, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 13
The NAD 542 has a nicely defined bass register, which I appreciate. The Senns have good bass entension, which I enjoy. I found the combination to be a bit tubby on some program material.

BW

May 21, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 13
I can't speak for the NAD 542, but I have the 640c ( same amp/headphone as you ) and it's fantastic. Smooth midrange with punchy bass, non-fatiguing as well, I can listen for hours.

May 21, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 13
It's not much of a scientific review, but the Senn 600s are great with this combo..

But I originally auditioned the Nad with senn650s (not as good an amp though - Project Headbox) - and even with that less-than-perfect amp, who said the Senn650s can't rock? I spent a couple of hours alone in a listening room so it's not as good as owning them, but better than a quicky-listen in a department store.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 13
I haven't heard the HD650 or the SXH1, but I'm really happy with my C542, using a Pimeta and HD580s (which are probably closer in sound to the 650s than your current 570s). It's a good enough combination for me that I don't feel compelled to upgrade the source or headphones anytime soon. (Though the Pimeta is getting upgraded to a PPA soon
smily_headphones1.gif
) I'd be surprised if a C542/SXH1/650 system didn't sound great, frankly.

May 22, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 13
Guys,
Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate people taking the time to reply. I was particularly interested in Bill's comments about the bass being a bit on the 'tubby'side at times with the NAD+HD650 combo. This gives me a little bit of concern about the NAD. I suggested the NAD and Cambridge as they are around the same price ($600 NAD, $700 Cambridge). The NAD is sold through my local dealer (which I have a good relationship with) while the Cambridge is sold through a local home electronics 'Super Store'. The other brand of CD player sold by my local dealer (which I would prefer to give my business to) is Rotel. He also carries the RCD-02 ($800) and the RCD-1072 ($900). These are getting a bit more in price than I wanted to spend, but I would consider them if people thought that they are worth the extra dollars. When I go to pick up my HD-650's (can't wait!), I'll take my SXH1 along with me and try out the NAD and Rotel players. Any thoughts on the Rotel's just to confuse things even more or is the extra money not worth it over the C542 or 640C?

Thanks again,
Stephen

May 22, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 13
I have the NAD 541i and the perreaux sxh-1, Senn hd650 combo. I listen to rock, jazz and some classical. I find it to be a very nice combination. I would imagine the 542 would be as well.

May 22, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 13
You'll be able to get the HD650s to sound just fine with the source you currently own and probably expect an improvement from the NAD source. However, you will have to spend over $2,000 on a source, $1,500 on an amp, and over $300 in interconnects to reach the HD650's potential, and realise what kind of headphone they truly are. Just be aware of it. Look at my signature. If you are truly disappointed in the sound of the HD650s consider hearing them on $4000 of associated equipment. Don't join the sennheiser-sucks crowd unless you put the HD650s in the right environment first, and then decide that they aren't good at their full potential.

Cheers,
Geek

May 22, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 13
$4000 in associated equipment to bring the HD650 to full potential?

Based on what? Your opinion? your experience? Your equipment? The Senns will sing with a Perreaux, and any of the cdps mentioned will serve them admirably. Headphone hifi is cost-effective precisely because a relatively modest investment can yield remarkable levels of performance and listening pleasure. One need not feel disadvantaged because of limited means, and I don't think the Senns are well-served by a statement that they demand a $4k expenditure to reach their full potential.

BW

May 23, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Stephen, where are you located?

Hi Elnero,
Just updated my profile, I'm an Aussie which explains why all the prices I've quoted are in Australian dollars and seem so high.
frown.gif

cheers,
Stephen

May 23, 2004 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 13
Geek,

You are jumping the gun a bit dont you think? Nobody hear has even criticised the 650's, and although you are correct (the 650's potential will be met with higher amps and sources), the 650's should sound nice from one of those players and that amp. Maybe not up to its potential, but it will still sound nice IMO. What is the use of your above statement when its clear that the original poster does not have that kind of budget?

May 23, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by whmacs
Hi Elnero,
Just updated my profile, I'm an Aussie which explains why all the prices I've quoted are in Australian dollars and seem so high.
frown.gif

cheers,
Stephen

Actually because of the prices I thought you might be Canadian in which case I was going to direct you towards an excellent online retailer that carries Cambridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back