NAD C521 CD PLAYER
Sep 25, 2001 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 7
I've tried out its immediate predecessor, the C520..as always, NAD's build quality at this price level isn't stunning (of course, NAD products are never top of their league in that respect), but it's a lively player with decent bass and a not-too-forward sound. If the C521's anything like the 520, I'd get it over almost any new CD player at that price point (yes, I know about the AMC CD8B); that said, I'd almost certainly go bargain-hunting for a used, higher spec'd player first.

Sep 26, 2001 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 7
CAPS LOCK IS NOT NECESSARY
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

I have heard rumors of NAD CD players having reliability problems.

There was one model a few years back that had problems, but across the board NAD stuff is built well and is very reliable.

I second wasifazim's sentiments. I would always take an NAD CDP over other similar brands at the same price point.

Sep 27, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 7
GEAR,

I demoed a MG Head with a NAD 521, along with my Senn 580 and the Holm Audio's Senn 600. The manager, Albert, recommended the NAD line because of it's neutral sound, no-non-sense design, and pricepoint. The only item that may have been of issue was erratic CD-R playback, a lack of a headphone jack, and rca digital outs only instead of rca and optical digital outs. The 521 and I believe the 540 were not designed to playback CD-R, that's why some people complained about the NAD line.

I bought the NAD 541 (latest model) because I found it for a great price - $350 ($500 retail). The NAD 541 does play CD-Rs (don't have many of those) and is HDCD compatible (don't care). What I do care about is the sound. The 541 delivers. I absolutely love my home rig especially for jazz and classical. Great detail, enough bass. Once I tube rolled the rest of my listening pleasures came around, rock, ambient, trance, pop, etc. More bass while retaining the great detail. I'd recommend the NAD, but if you can afford it, get the 541!

Check out the NAD website for more info and reviews:

http://www.nadelectronics.com/ClassicSeries.html

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back