NAD C352
May 20, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any feedback on the NAD C352 with headphones?

I use a NAD C372's headphone socket and it sounds pretty good. I had to attenuate the pre-out into the main (power amp) input on the back of the amplifier though because I would usually have the volume all the way down. As a result the noise floor was raised. Not sure if this would be the case with the C352 because it doesn't have as much power.

I don't have a proper headphone amp to compare to though.

May 20, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 15
Hi, I'm using a C352 for my HD650, with a C542 CD player as source, and I like it a lot. The same goes for me as for psyllium, I haven't got a proper amp to compare with. I would like to compare with one with crossfeed, haven't experienced the difference.

Anyways, someone else can probably give you better advice, but I have nothing bad to say about it.

May 22, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 15
I have a C352 and a C542 too. In the beginning I used headphones (HD25-1 and HD650) only with the C352. It sounded pretty good. Later I chose to upgrade to the X-Can v3 however. It's a bit better, especially in the highs and the little nuances, but it did not "blow away" the C352.
Hence, it's safe to say that the headphone output of the C352 is not bad at all.

May 22, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 15
Yes, C352 headphone ouptut is very good , and I enjoyed it alot with mine DT880. It's little less detailed and little more closed then my dedicated amp . More warmer too . But in overall it's vey good quality .

May 22, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 15
This Nad (or other models of speaker to amplifier with excellent headamps enclosed) can function in “by pass”, allowing the linking of pre-amplifier?
I think that if I will be possible to substitute the pre-amplification of speaker amp for one good tube pre-amp, this I could be a great option, I would not be?
Better hearing for the phones and spakers also...
cool.gif

And by the way...

What says guys more experienced on the use of one dedicated headamp solid state as to power amp, on to one tube pre amp?
rolleyes.gif

At last: head amplifiers is almost all integrated amplifiers. They could function as to power amps, on to one tube preamp originally manufactured for speakers?

Or perhaps the pressure on head amp would be inadequate?
basshead.gif
I know that a good combination, good sinergy, does not have to be easy...

May 22, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 15
I'm very happy to hear such good responses about the NAD heaphone sound quality.
I had been considering the 325BEE or 352 as an amp for bookshelves from my PC source.
It will have more power, a remote control and also a very usable headphone amp in one, which I think will make it more functional than the Trends TA10.1 amp for me.

Its great to hear your experiences.

Thanks, cheers

May 22, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by laol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This Nad (or other models of speaker to amplifier with excellent headamps enclosed) can function in “by pass”, allowing the linking of pre-amplifier?
I think that if I will be possible to substitute the pre-amplification of speaker amp for one good tube pre-amp, this I could be a great option, I would not be?
Better hearing for the phones and spakers also...
cool.gif

And by the way...

What says guys more experienced on the use of one dedicated headamp solid state as to power amp, on to one tube pre amp?
rolleyes.gif

At last: head amplifiers is almost all integrated amplifiers. They could function as to power amps, on to one tube preamp originally manufactured for speakers?

Or perhaps the pressure on head amp would be inadequate?
basshead.gif
I know that a good combination, good sinergy, does not have to be easy...

I'm not sure if I understand all your questions correctly, but here goes.
First anwser: Yes, you can connect the power amp section of the NAD C352 to another preamp, or connect the preamp section of the C352 to another power amp. It has two "pre out" outputs and one input for the power amp section.

Second answer: I think you mean using a separate solid state "power" amp for the headphones with a tube preamp? This question has popped up somewhere else in the forum also. Separating power amp section and preamp section is not useful on headphone amplifiers, because the power amp section of a headphone amplifier is more similar to a preamp than to a real power amp meant for speakers.

Third answer: the same as the second answer, but of course you can put a tube preamp before your (integrated) headphone amplifier. You'll have two volume knobs but that's all.

May 22, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 15
I haven't tried the C352, but I have owned the C350 and I currently have a C320bee and an old 701 receiver.
Of the the 3 NAD's, I have owned, the 701 has (ironically) by far the best sounding headphone jack. I should add that I use the tone controls on the 701 to tune the sound the way I like (adding some bass and warmth) and the 701's tone controls are far more effective at doing this than the c350 or c320bee. I have also improved the resolution of the 701 by replacing its preout/amp in jumpers with pure silver ones.
I primarily use Grado RS-2's, Sr-80's and Ultrasone's. I did not find the headphone jack on the NAD 701 to work well with Sennheiser 580's.
I do not like the sound of the headphone jack on the C320bee. I find the gain on the volume control to be set too high for Grado's and the volume control does not track well at low volumes. In fact I have had the volume control replaced because I thought it was defective but the new one is not much better.

May 23, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 15
Ive used the headphone output of my NAD C352 with the HD650, HD600, HD280, K701, HF-1, Ergo 2, K340, Jecklin Float 1, Jecklin Float 2, JVC DX1000 and TakeT H2.

It did and does a most satisfactory job in general. The HF-1 didn't sound impressive but then I put that down my my not being a fan of the Grado Sound. The K340 didn't get enough juice, but that's to be expected. Likewise with the TakeT H2. I'm listening right at this minute with the DX1000 and the NAD and its very enjoyable.

Its obviously not goign to be on a par with a decent headphone amplifier. But in my experience, NAD headphone integrated amps are pretty good.

May 23, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 15
Don't forget that if you are always running the main volume control on the amp all the way down, you should try attenuating the signal between the pre-amp and the power amp. I know that there is a small knob on the back of the C372 for this, not sure about the other ones. Otherwise you can get an attenuating cable to go between the pre-out and the power-in.

May 23, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you mean using a separate solid state "power" amp for the headphones with a tube preamp? This question has popped up somewhere else in the forum also. Separating power amp section and preamp section is not useful on headphone amplifiers, because the power amp section of a headphone amplifier is more similar to a preamp than to a real power amp meant for speakers.

Thanks, Michgelsen. You it understood the question integrally, although mine very bad english.
plainface.gif

I go to look to this question popped up somewhere else in the forum.

I am buying a great tube preamp for speakers (Cary), and I would like to use to advantage the excellent noise that I also wait of it with equally great headphone (Sennheiser 650)!
lambda.gif

If I to use tube pre Cary with one head amp solid more modest (many less expensive, I believe…), he will be possible to use to advantage the superior quality of the Cary?

May 23, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 15
Yes, but if you put a lousy headphone amp after your preamp, it will of course not sound great all of the sudden. You need a good headphone amp that will be able to pass on the good sound of your preamp.
You can compare this to a cd player. If you have a bad cd player and a good amp, it still won't sound so good. This goes for a great cd player with a bad amp too. You need all components to be good. A great preamp is a good start naturally.

May 24, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 15
I own an NAD C350 and it's headphone jack is definitely serviceable. It is very good with my Grado SR80's...with my AKG K 701's, not so much--they feel underpowered, but that could be because they haven't really broken in yet (maybe only 50 hours on them).

May 24, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 15
the NAD 304 i have can drive most low impedance cans very well. plus u can

use the bass & treble controls to tweek the cans to your liking. but it

struggles with the K701, running outta steam and distorting during

complicated passages and loud bass tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back