NAD C326BEE issues...
Jan 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ngower

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure what subforum this belongs in, but this seemed most appropriate.

I just moved back into school to NC from NH. I drove down and brought my system with me. Hooked it up last night and everything seemed ok, then I noticed the amp shut off and mute itself for a few seconds before coming back. At the time I didn't realize the amp, but eventually would come to realize it after seeing an orange blinking light.

Looking in the manual it says either the speakers are too low impedance or the amp has overheated. Considering I've had the speakers before with no problem and the amp was on for about 5-10 mins before it happened, both of those don't seem right.

I have never had a problem with it before, I shut it off, unplugged all the connections and replugged them in to make sure nothing was shorting. No stray wires, I have banana plugs on the ends. I just can't figure it out and the only thing I can blame is the move, but nothing was on top of the amp and it was very secure, so I can't find anything that may have done it.

Any advice as to what is wrong/what I should do?

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 10
It just popped and the LED went red...no idea what is going on.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 10
You mean the interconnects and not the inputs on the amp, right? Being a fuse it's probably expensive, no? I'm trying to call them but my schedule is a bit off right now.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 10

On occasion it will not go into standby and the LED simply turns red, and the only way to get the amp functional again is to turn it off using the switch in the back and then back on.

I was using it tonight and it popped like it does when it's going to turn off but kept playing. Got maybe 20 minutes out of it before it did the standby mode again. I tried using my headphones this time to see if that would narrow it down, but it still happened eventually.

Though it does get hot, the timing happens anywhere form a couple of minutes of use or several. I just can't figure out what's going on!

[EDIT] Assuming repairs are too costly, would you guys think I'd still be able to fetch some money on a site like audiogon or here for the as-is (advertised as such) amp and maybe do a sort of sideways upgrade to one of the Cambridge models or the Marantz PM5003 or PM5004? I'll find out tomorrow what NAD says for repairs.

Would getting something like the Rega Brio be a wise decision/good upgrade? NAD and PSB get along so well, but the Rega would kill two birds with one stone (getting a new preamp soon) assuming the amplifier is too expensive to repair.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 10
By IC I meant "integrated circuit," those chips that usually run hot and the center of hte circuit. The ones on my 304 were installed upright on the heatsink that doubles as an isolator from the transformer on the left side of the chassis. Some other amps have that config too but basically that problem you describe means you check fuses first, then these chips. My tech checked the fuses, I had him install good-quality ones (forgot the brand but not the wallet-eating Xindaks they had in the shop), the problem didn't go, then he checked the ICs. I think he tested them and found three of them were grounded, and I told him to replace all four since the amp's in there for surgery anyway.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 10
How expensive was that? I'm trying to grasp how much this is going to cost. I think NAD offer a two year warranty, so I'm sure this would cover it, but I can't get in contact with them until tomorrow.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 10
I believe Nad's have a fun switch. A soft clipping switch on the back. If on it will shut down the amp when too much current is drawn due to impedance going to low.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 10
I just read this part. Hmm... I would wait to see what NAD says. Is it still under warranty?

Quote:
 I tried using my headphones this time to see if that would narrow it down, but it still happened eventually.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 10
NAD said it's still under warranty, so I should only have to pay the shipping to and the rest will be covered. I'll be trying to mail it out this week, I'll update you guys once I find out more (for archival purposes in the instance anyone else has issues).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back