NAD C 542 as source
Dec 1, 2008 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rocdoc

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. This may be a dumb question, so bear with me. I plan to buy the CDP in subject line as my main source in the system. The rest of the electronics are Quad 99 pre-amp and 909 amp, so no headphone out anywhere. The NAD has a "digital out", coax-like, on the back. I have a Corda 2Move as my HP amp (it's a DAC-amp combo, but I am not sure if the DAC is in the circuit regardless of the connection). Would said digital out on the CDP connect on the "in" of the Corda 2Move? And, most importantly, would music come out via the headphones? In other words, would that lead to the DAC in the 2Move, and out would come beautiful music? Or differently stated, would that connection engage the DAC in the 2move and work? Or no go, and I have to look for a different source?
Thank you very much for your advice.

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all. This may be a dumb question, so bear with me. I plan to buy the CDP in subject line as my main source in the system. The rest of the electronics are Quad 99 pre-amp and 909 amp, so no headphone out anywhere. The NAD has a "digital out", coax-like, on the back. I have a Corda 2Move as my HP amp (it's a DAC-amp combo, but I am not sure if the DAC is in the circuit regardless of the connection). Would said digital out on the CDP connect on the "in" of the Corda 2Move? And, most importantly, would music come out via the headphones? In other words, would that lead to the DAC in the 2Move, and out would come beautiful music? Or differently stated, would that connection engage the DAC in the 2move and work? Or no go, and I have to look for a different source?
Thank you very much for your advice.

Connect the NAD analog output, the 2 RCA sockets, to the analog in (minijack) of the Corda. There is no other way you can functionally connect the two. The Corda's digital input is USB which is incompatible with the NAD's digital output. You will bypass the Corda's DAC. Connecting the digital out of the CDP to the analog in of the Corda will not work either.

If you want to exploit the DAC in the Corda you need a device that outputs a USB stream. Now technically you can get a gizmo to convert SPDIF digital output to USB but the NAD already has a decent DAC so why bother.

I just reread your message. Take the tape-out from your pre-amp and send it to the analog input of the corda this will give you a line level input to the amp not DAC.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you Nick. Yes, the second option would be much better. I don't want to have to swap the connnection to the CD out everytime I feel like connecting my phones. Using the tape out from the pre-amp with a y connector would be fine for me. Thank you for the tip. If anyone else has any ideas, or experience using this CDP with headphones, do chime in. The phones are AKG K601, not that it makes a difference.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back