NAD amp + Dynaudio audience speakers treble troubles
Jul 5, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #61 of 71
Sorry, popping in late to this, so just throwing out a few random thoughts:

I agree with room treatments, if at all possible. I used to be in a similar room to what you described, and because of the interference from the reflections coming off of the wall behind me, there was a whole comb filter effect, depending on my position. Comb filter means it goes very quickly from bright to dull to bright to dull, etc., and this was based on my head position.

If you have to be in the same room as the speakers when they're burning in, face them towards each other. The waves that are synchronous (in the center of the stereo field) will balance each other out, and the total sound coming out of the speakers will be quieter.*

[size=xx-small]* There will be people who will tell you that you need to put the speakers out of phase when you do this -- DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. If you insist, try it both ways yourself. I found this out myself the hard way.[/size]

Jul 10, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #62 of 71
A bit late, but because of it I've got even more to tell.

My mother went back to the store to listen to other speakers cause it was getting obvious that the Dynaudio's just weren't for me and the place where i wanted put them.

She went twice and we agreed with the store that she could take two pairs of speakers (demo versions) home to me so I could listen to them in the room where they are gonna be put. Can try them out for two weeks.

It are the B&W CM2 and the Chario Constellation Lynx.
The latter got the best first impression. Put the whole system back in the intended room and listened to the Chario's last night. Bass was too much. Turns out the bassreflexport is under the speaker which is standing on 4 one inch high 'legs'. So the bass can reflect on the survice. Gives a very open airy sound but bass is way too much for a small room.
Next move is to stuff the ports and see what that does for the sound. If this doesn't do damage in other area's of the sound I think I found my speakers.

After that I'm gonna listen to the B&W but my very first impression was not too crash hot. Sounded not very clear to me. You can connect them with Bi-wiring, maybe they really need that...

Jul 10, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #63 of 71
Awesome! Glad to hear you've made some great progress. Don't stuff the port until the Chario burns in for a while. I suspect that its bass will tighten up greatly over burn-in.

Jul 10, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #64 of 71
Also, you may want to raise the speakers a little bit, rather than stuff the port. Soup cans placed under the feet would be a good and easy experiment. I know people will suggest moving the speakers away from the wall, but since your room is small this is a good alternative.

Jul 19, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #65 of 71
In case anyone was wondering I thought I post the end result here.

I tried a lot to make the Chario speakers work but there was just way to much bass. They're definitely something I'd recommend to someone who's a basshead and want good sounding speakers without a subwoofer.

The store let me audition some more speakers at home. And I ended up with the KEF Q1 speakers. The Chario's were a bit more detailed but lacked a bit in the mids. And the KEF sound is just much more to my liking.

Just one other thing. Those B&W CM2's I listened too. They were so bad I couldn't believe it. This can hardly be called difference in taste. I even called up the store and asked if I connected them righ and I did. They sounded like AM radio without the high whisteling tone. They had no bass and hardly any treble. The guy at the store said B&W sound wooly. Do people like that?
They cost €450 a piece!!!
eek.gif
Is this just me?

Jul 19, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #67 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
Just one other thing. Those B&W CM2's I listened too. They were so bad I couldn't believe it. This can hardly be called difference in taste. I even called up the store and asked if I connected them righ and I did. They sounded like AM radio without the high whisteling tone. They had no bass and hardly any treble. The guy at the store said B&W sound wooly. Do people like that?
They cost €450 a piece!!!
eek.gif
Is this just me?

Lisa,

I don't very much care for B&W's house sound either. But, you get the lots of speaker for the money and they retain a secondary value. Your dealer is correct by saying they are 'wooly'. i.e. slow and has a prominent midbass rise. Midrange clarity gets better as you go up in models, but bass portion still try to keep up from the rest.

Your loaner B&W sounds like they were not fully run in, tho.

Congrats on your Kef! Is that the one with UniQ drivers?

Jul 19, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #69 of 71
I haven't heard the CM2, but B&W speakers are usually highly regarded. Isn't CM2 a center speaker? If so don't expect it to sound great for LR. It most probably will have a very strong midrange hump (equilized for speech)
I own a pair of DM601 S3, which I purchased after a month long research and auditions. To me they were the best value both in terms of materials and craftmanship and sound. Than again it is all personal taste

Jul 20, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #70 of 71
Congratulations on your new speakers Lisa!!!! You did it the right way, which many people dont do either because of impatience or ignorance. Im happy you'll finally get to enjoy your music.

Jul 20, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #71 of 71
Thanks guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
Congrats on your Kef! Is that the one with UniQ drivers?

Not completely sure but I think it is.
Budget model but with these drivers or something very simulair.

About the B&W CM2
I've searched for some review online on those and couldn't find many. The review I did find said that they weren't the best value for money and they needed a room where you can play them loud. So in my small room at low volume...
Found far more and better reviews on the DM601 S3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back