NAD 542 vs Sony CDPX 7 ESD Question
May 21, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JJ3810

100+ Head-Fier
How would the current model NAD CD player stack up against the top-of-the-line Sony from 15 years ago? I know the Sony is a tank build-wise but what about sound? Do today's DACs out perform the older ones? Which would give the better sound?

May 22, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ3810
How would the current model NAD CD player stack up against the top-of-the-line Sony from 15 years ago? I know the Sony is a tank build-wise but what about sound? Do today's DACs out perform the older ones? Which would give the better sound?

Hi,

I think that SONY will litterly blow NAD out of the water both build-wise and sound-wise.
basshead.gif

My player (the one in the signature), was the entry ticket to Sony's ES series in 85
biggrin.gif
, and slightly modded (op-amp rolling) was comperable or better than Nad's 540, while X7ESD will virtually kill both mine and Nad's player even if they join forces
evil_smiley.gif

About the build quality I'll just say that these old players were made to last (mine has worked for 20 years without a hich), while new players, specally budget ones, weren't.

Also I've heard a lot of complaint on Nad's build quality, display and laser are prone to faliure after 2-3 years (this was the case with their older models, don't know about the 542).
frown.gif

Also, you can't even compare the quality of parts inside the Sony (wich was their flagship model at the time) and Nad (wich is middle class player).

Happy listening!
280smile.gif

Cheers...

P.S. I would like to state that I'm not Sony's fanboy, my answer is based on actual facts...

May 23, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio(DDMF)
Hi,

I think that SONY will litterly blow NAD out of the water both build-wise and sound-wise.
basshead.gif

My player (the one in the signature), was the entry ticket to Sony's ES series in 85
biggrin.gif
, and slightly modded (op-amp rolling) was comperable or better than Nad's 540, while X7ESD will virtually kill both mine and Nad's player even if they join forces
evil_smiley.gif

About the build quality I'll just say that these old players were made to last (mine has worked for 20 years without a hich), while new players, specally budget ones, weren't.

Also I've heard a lot of complaint on Nad's build quality, display and laser are prone to faliure after 2-3 years (this was the case with their older models, don't know about the 542).
frown.gif

Also, you can't even compare the quality of parts inside the Sony (wich was their flagship model at the time) and Nad (wich is middle class player).

Happy listening!
280smile.gif

Cheers...

P.S. I would like to state that I'm not Sony's fanboy, my answer is based on actual facts...

I recently picked up a mint sony cdp-x777es cd player (TOTL 1992) and I must say, not only does it sound great, have the best transport I have ever seen, weighs 40lbs or so, and is probably the best built piece of equipment I own. I have a Denon DVD-3800 ($1200 new) which is extremely well built, but it is a toy compared to this thing. Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back