NAD 5120 sibilance/high end distortion
May 13, 2006 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tooch

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I recently picked up a NAD 5120 turntable, I have since replaced the stylus with an Ortofon 10, and I am fairly sure the vertical tracking force is about right, however I am still getting a fair bit of sibilance or distortion on the top end, mainly noticeable on vocals. I have tried increasing and reducing the VTF, but it has little or no effect.

Can anyone help?!

May 13, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 9
As long as the stylus is lined up (verticall and horizontally) it should be ok. Other than that .... I wonder whether the arm has been hit at some time and pushed out of place. Is it possible to shift the position of the arm?

Does it distort more at the end of the LP than the edge? If so - it's probably an alignment problem.

Ian

May 13, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 9
The alignment seems pretty much right, I don't have the proper NAD protractor so I'm using the 'stupid' Baerwald protractor off Vinyl Engine. The overhang from the end of the headshell to the stylus was off, I have set it to 3mm as it says in the instructions, but it made no difference.

This thing sounds like crap, I am not sure what to do with it!

May 15, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tooch
And yeah the distortion seems to be slightly worse at the end of the record.

Which version of the 5120 is it? Is the arm conventional looking or a wierd flat thing? Could be VTA is very wrong? Have you tried different phono stage and/or a different Cart to ascertain where the problem emanates?

The NAD is a pretty good table despite it's rather quirky design, quite upto Pro-ject or Music Hall standards.

May 15, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 9
high end distortion is always worse at the end of the record. This is because the arms pivot from a point, whereas the machine that cuts it tracks along a stright line. Many of dad's old records have sibilance and trebble distortion in the centre tracks curtosy of the disc being ruined by years of not replacing the needle. The centre tracks are the first to show signs of damage.

/Edit: Mind you this isn't the cause of what you're experienceing on the rest of the disc.

May 16, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 9
memepool: It's the conventional tubular arm. I thought it could be the VTA, however it is non adjustable on this table! I might just take it to a repairer locally and have it all checked and adjusted there.

May 31, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Hmm so is distortion towards the end of the record something that can be minimised through alignment, or is it a part of the recording due to the way they are manufactured?

I just played Elbow-Leaders of the Free World (brand new, first play), and most of the first side was near perfect, until the last track which was pretty sibilant and a fair bit of distortion on the louder parts.

May 31, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tooch
Hmm so is distortion towards the end of the record something that can be minimised through alignment, or is it a part of the recording due to the way they are manufactured?

I just played Elbow-Leaders of the Free World (brand new, first play), and most of the first side was near perfect, until the last track which was pretty sibilant and a fair bit of distortion on the louder parts.

Yes. On a new record you certainly shouldn't be hearing this unless

1. it's a crap pressing

2. your cart is not aligned properly

Aligning the cart on a radial deck is always an approximation as the needle will never be in the right relation to the groove throughout it's path. Turntablebasics.com has a really handy alignment gauge printed on a mirror so you can check really easily.

If you are sure this is as good as you can get it and you are still hearing distortion then maybe the cart is not a good match for this arm. An elictical styus will be more prone to tracking error but better at detail retrieval. A conical stylus will be less prone to tracking error but less detailed. Maybe this is the answer.

Another thing to try is change where your turntable sits. Unless you are on a concrete or stone floor a good solid wall shelf will improve the sound quality no end, allowing it to track better through picking up less external vibrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back