NAD 325BEE good enough to power headphones?
Oct 20, 2008 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

halfempty_dg

New Head-Fier
I have the subject integrated amp and NAD C542 player. Looking at getting either the Beyer DT990 Pro or AKG K601.

There seems to be an inconsistency on what amps can drive what phones. Does anyone know if I'm OK with either of those phones, or I need a dedicated amp?

Part 2...... If I need an amp, is it better to hook up to the CD player or amp? the amp will be more direct, but the amp would give me a remote for volume
wink.gif

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by halfempty_dg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the subject integrated amp and NAD C542 player. Looking at getting either the Beyer DT990 Pro or AKG K601.

There seems to be an inconsistency on what amps can drive what phones. Does anyone know if I'm OK with either of those phones, or I need a dedicated amp?

Part 2...... If I need an amp, is it better to hook up to the CD player or amp? the amp will be more direct, but the amp would give me a remote for volume
wink.gif

Thanks!

In my experience, NAD integrated amps and receivers have very good headphone outputs. Most around here seem to agree. The phones are driven off of the main power amp via some resistors. I do recall a recent thread about NAD amps where another head-fier reported a mid-bass hump with certain low impedance cans due to the highish output impedance of the amp. But your C325 should be able to drive either of the phones you're considering without any problem.

I don't know what kind of headphone circuit your CD player has. Just try it and compare.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply. There actually isn't any headphone jack on the CD player, only the amp. Kind of surprised.

Since the phones I'm looking at are both high impedance, then they should be OK with the amp. Great news for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back