n_maher Millett Hybrid mini-review
Nov 28, 2006 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

justhavingfun

500+ Head-Fier
About two months ago I purchased perhaps one of the best DIY Millett Hybrid from fellow head-fi member Thaddy. This amp was built originally by n_maher. Unfortunately, the STEPS power supply was broke during the shipping route. However, n_maher was kind enough to make me a new STEPS PS and this amp is singing beautifully now. The only other tube amps that I have is another basic Millett Hybrid with TREAD PS and Little Dot +. From what I gather, this MH is fairly maxed out version.

Headphones that I used for this mini-review are Senn HD580/600, Senn PX100and ER4S. Source is HR MicroDAC, Pioneer CD Player with Musical Fidelity X10 buffer and analog source was Rega Planar 3/Sumiko Blue Point cartdridge. First of all, this MH is match made in heaven with HD580/600 especially with classical music. I never heard such wide sound stage as this MH/SennHD580/600 combo. This will not make any bad recordings sound good but if you got truly outstanding recordings, it will bring out the best sound possible. Bach concertos never sounded this good and you can literally feel the presence of the performer such as Jonas Starker's Unaccompanied Cello Suites. Canon blasts from the "War of 1812" overture so palpable, it is almost scary at sometimes. Once I started to listen soundtracks of Amadeus, I had to finish entire albums. I don't know how to describe the sound signature that well but I truly enjoying this MH. However, I didn't feel the same excitement with ER4S but I usually use ER4S with my portable setup and almost never with home amp. I just don't feel the sense of wide soundstage with ER4S but perhaps it is not fair comparison with HD580/600 which is known to have good soundstage begin with. However, ER4S shines with very detailed sound and excellent instrument separation.

I have tried different sets of tubes but I noticed very little difference with my ears once I biased properly. Currently, it has RCA 12FK6 and it will stay there for long time probably. With more time, I will have a chance to listen to my favorite jazz/new age music and compare to my other amps. Needless to say that I am very happy with this Millett Hybrid amp. The pictures that you are seeing is taken originally by n_maher when he was building it and the other picture is that I taken recently. I tried to take my own picture but it didn't turn out too well so I borrowed from n_maher's posting (I hope he doesn't mind).
biggrin.gif

milletthybrid.jpg

100_0771.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back