N64 Experts - Expansion Pack
Nov 25, 2003 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

utep10

500+ Head-Fier
First, I'm not a big gamer, and second, I know that N64 is pretty ancient now days but am still looking for some direction.

I purchased a Donkey Kong cartridge with the expansion pack. I guess this game only works with the expansion pack.

Question is: Is it as easy as taking off the sticker on the existing expansion pack that is in the expansion slot, taking the cartridge out and putting the Donkey Kong expansion pack in? Any trick to taking out the existing expansion pack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't have the manual for this anymore.

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 10
The expansion pack should come with a gray plastic tool to remove the old pack, if you don't have that a screw driver or something similar would work. Really all you have to do is take the sticker off the jumper pack, pull it out, put the expansion pack in, and you're done.

It is quite simple.

Nov 25, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Polygon,

Thanks for the reply.

Didn't see a plastic tool but will use a screwdriver. Just wanted to make sure it was as easy as pulling out the expansion jumper and pluggin in the expansion pack. The sticker says to consult your manual
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 10
ahh, N64. best console ever... though i'm not much into the new next gen stuff. speaking of the current crop, though, such as the PS2, xbox, and GC, is it really fair to still call them "next-gen"? i mean theyve all been out for at least 2 years...

anyway, back to N64. polygon covered all you need to know about installing the expansion pak, so i'll reminisce for a moment. that console had countless classics... not as many games in the library as PSX of course, but so many good ones. i still remember the exact moment in 5th grade when i played mario 64 in toys r us. i'm a high school senior now. and there was also goldeneye, star fox, the two zeldas (both great in their own ways), perfect dark (which consumed an entire summer for me), waverace, the turok series, and the experience that was pilotwings 64. man... good days. too busy for games now, but i'd like a GBAsp for the simple platformers.

[/stream of consciousness memories]

Nov 26, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 10
Yes, and don't forget about Super Smash Bros--pure multiplayer perfection. Sadly it has been over-shadowed by it's inferior incarnation on the Gamecube. The orginal Smash Bros on the N64 had the perfect balance between arcade button mashing and skill, unfortunately the GC version is mostly just button mashing--it plays way too fast, has too many thing going on at once and lacks the tight control of the original (although this is partly due to the GC controller).

Nov 26, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 10
am i the only one who thought the N64 controller was perfect? most questioned the purpose of the d-pad's third grip, but i liked it as it kept the control stick close to your thumb instead of a mile away like the dual shocks. so comfy, too. the only other controller that was more comfortable was that of the short-lived virtual boy. didn't have nearly the same funcionality, though.

Nov 26, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by utep10
Polygon,

Thanks for the reply.

Didn't see a plastic tool but will use a screwdriver. Just wanted to make sure it was as easy as pulling out the expansion jumper and pluggin in the expansion pack. The sticker says to consult your manual
biggrin.gif

Hehe, no problem at all, glad to help another gamer.

I would have to agree that the N64 has one of the best designed controllers, and I've had just about every mainstream system that has hit the market and even some of the more obscure ones. There is nothing like playing GoldenEye and pushing the Z trigger, pure video game bliss.

Nov 26, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 10
N64 controller is pretty darn comfy for me, although the triple-flange...err I mean handle design is a bit weird. Just open the thing up, use that plastic thing to take it out, or your hands, and push the new one in. Quite simple...but the new ones aren't removable as you can see.

Should notice sharper graphics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back