N00b with E2c's and looking to upgrade
Feb 18, 2009 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

archercat

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I have searched all over for about 2 weeks on this site and others... Without being able to literally try out most of these IEM's I have somewhat of a subjective question for anyone who is willing to help.

I have had my E2c's for about 3 years or so, and I'm fairly happy with them... I use a gen 1 Nano and a Sandisk Clip both unamped. My music is mostly 256kbps AAC or MP3 and I listen to Rock, Trance, Folk, some Classical and Hip/hop.

I am looking to upgrade and could spend upwards of 150ish... But that's my main question, if I can only spend about 150 would it even be that much of an upgrade to justify the new ones. I'm not unhappy with the E2c's, but I wouldn't mind a little more bass and better overall sound...

I was thinking I really like Shure, thick cables, over ear design, great customer service, and the SE310's come to mind, also the Superfi 5 v2 or even the Pro, however the Pro looks huge and I have small ass Asian ear holes. Both of these I think I can get for about 150-175 from online etc... But I can't try them. Also the Monster Beats Tour whould be in that price range.

I guess I am comparing it to something like, "I already have an used Jetta 1.8T with 120K that gets me from point A to B, is it really worth spending any money to upgrade to another used Audi A4 1.8T with 85K?" Or should I just wait until I can get an Audi A6 Quattro or S4....

Thanks for any help! (And for putting up with my long ramble...)

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd highly recommend the Phonak PFE. They are $139, free shipping and 14 day trial period. They have been reviewed better than the IEMs on your short list. Phonak is an highly regarded hearing aid company from Switzerland.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 7
There is a 103 page (as of last counting) thread about them in the very first page.

I like them over my SCL4(e4c). As for bass quantity over the e2c, I can't answer that because I have never heard those.

The Phonak are considered pretty close in performance to IEMs costing $300-$400.

I would suggest you read that long thread titled Phonak Audeo.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 7
Definitely look at the Phonaks, but I am also enjoying the Monster Turbines. Similar price, possibly similar sound signature from what I have read. Either should be a big upgrade over the E2s.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobber65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely look at the Phonaks, but I am also enjoying the Monster Turbines. Similar price, possibly similar sound signature from what I have read. Either should be a big upgrade over the E2s.

The Turbines don't have the same sound signature as the PFE. The turbines have a lot more mid bass and are not as clear in the mids and highs as the PFE.

That said the Turbines are pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back