n00b Seeks Guidance
Feb 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dognamedwilson

New Head-Fier

Howdy, folks!  
I am new to the community and am full of under-informed questions :eek:. My research since my last post has led me to some obscure corners of the internet; namely 

vintage gear -> tubes ->  blown mind :smoke:

Just when I think I've made my decision, another thing to consider pops up.  

I could pick up a sweet little 7.1 HT system and call it done :rolleyes:.  I don't need it at all, though. Mine will be exclusively for music in a dedicated, but tiny, listening room.  No tv's or disc players, nothing fancy. I just need to connect my digital library to  speakers.  I don't need all the capability of a new receiver but purchasing the capability I do need in new components looks prohibitively expensive :cry:.

Moving off the 7.1, I turned to vintage integrated amps.  Superficially, vintage appears to be a better value, assuming the components are all compatible, which I really should not do.

So I now find myself shopping for a DAC to run between the computer and the amp :idea:.  I plan to secure these before choosing my speakers, as the price of the former will determine my budget.  

I was looking at the Polk Monitor 70's, 40's, & CS2 (plus undetermined sub) when I was planning to buy the Denon 2112 :cool:--to play music in a 9'x11' room :rolleyes:

If I do well on the DAC>amp combo I'll have about $600 to spend on a pair of speakers.  :mrgreen:

I could go on but think this will suffice for now.  I look forward to your thoughtful input and to engaging the community-at-large.

thanks gents!

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 3
9 x 11 is a pretty tiny room. I wouldn't spend a fortune for such a small room because you'll have sound bouncing everywhere within a tiny area, and you don't need to fill a huge recreation room. A basic amp, something like the Pioneer SP-BS41 should be all you need, and you can get that for $300.

I have a similar system (the smaller pioneer bookshelves) and a bigger room and its more than adequate. :wink:

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Thk goodness u moved from thoughts of 7.1 to vintage. It would have been a painful and costly mistake if u went for the former given your room size and specifically music! In your shoes i would pick up a vintage NAD/Sansui/Luxman amp and floor standers that extend low and call it a day ^^ A bad sub would ruin your music and those that are musical aren't cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back