n00b review lite
Apr 17, 2012 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

reticon

Head-Fier
I'm as green as can be, but I do have good ears. I wanted to do a quickie review as I'm new hear and maybe it will help some other n00bs looking at all the popular  head-fi gear I just bought.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Good bass, but no sub bass, minorly scooped mids, good treble, but not sharp, not reference enough for me.

Beyer-Dynamic DT-1350 - flat bass, excellent mids, flat treble, lacks sub bass, reference enough for me.

Beyer-Dynamic DT-880 - (coming in 3 weeks, will update then)

Sennheiser HD-25 Originals - Full bass, flat mids, spikey treble, not reference enough for me.
Sennheiser HD-380 Pro - flat bass, flat mids, flat treble, perfect sub bass, reference enough for me and then some!

Shure se215 - Plenty of bass, mildly scooped mids, bright treble, not reference enough for me.

Shure se425 - (coming in 5 days, will update then)

My source is a laptop (good soundcard) or my Samsung Galaxy 5.0 (similar to an iPod, but this is Android based. I do not have an amp at this time.

Please don't use any of the above to rate their comfort level. I must have a thick skull because heavy clamping force doesn't bother me. I wear earplugs daily (Guitar Tech / Luthier) so IEM's feel comfy as well..

I ended up returning or selling everything except the Beyer-Dynamic DT-1350 (the bloom of the midrange is truly unreal) and the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (the flat reference sound I want with unexpected, but not overwhelming sub bass)

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 5
Update!

Shure se425's came in. The hiss is a bit much, however they are very neutral. After speaking with a sales person at Shure it seems the se535 is the exact same thing, but with bass. Not as much as the se215, but more than the se425, so I think they will be idea. se425's returned. :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 5
Did you try the Sony MDR-V6( aka 7506) or the Sony MDR-7509HD? The 7506 is a standard reference headphone used in many recording studios, radio stations, and music and tv production. The Shure SRH840 and AKG K240 studio(the new 55 ohm version) are also very popular reference headphones.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Nah, JK, haven't tried any of those, in an update my Shure se535 came in and holy crap!! Have you ever put on a set of headphones and said out loud, "These are perfect?!" with both excitement and surprise in your voice? Me either... until now! I know the price is beyond stupid, but they're brilliant. Nothing I can say here will describe it. Even came with an atenuator to weed out the white noise from my laptop!

In other news after a great discussion with Peter at BeyerDynamic I cancelled my DT880 order and am awaiting the T70p. He said it is like an over the ear DT-1350 which is what I am wanting... as close as it gets to that anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back