N00b Questions regarding portable devices (Android and Apple) and external DACs & amps.
Aug 20, 2016 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

painted klown

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have some admittedly silly questions for all of you in regards to portable devices. I know that when using a PC or stand alone CD player that using an external DAC essentially negates most sound differences that would be caused by the source.

For example, if I make a lossless copy of Dark Side of the Moon and play it back from my PC using Foobar in Wasapi mode to my DAC it will sound like "X". If I play this same CD in my Cambridge audio CD player and run the digital out to my same DAC, then it will also sound like "X" and should be identical to playing from my PC. Hence, using an external DAC removes the variables in sound caused by the source.

However, I am curious to know if this is the same with phones, tablets, and idevices.

I have an Apple iphone 6, a Motorola E2 (2nd gen) Android phone, Nextbook Flexx 10 Tablet (Windows), an Android RCA tablet (cheap $35 from Wal-Mart for my 5 year old, I cannot remember the model), and my GF has a Samsung Android tablet (cannot remember the model).

If I were to buy an external DAC, such as the Oppo HA-2, that is compatible with all of these operating systems, then would all of these devices sound identical through the Oppo?

Are there ways to get "bit perfect" output to the DAC from Android and iOS? I know windows will work, but not sure about the other two as I have never really messed around with trying to get audiophile sound from portable devices.  iam just curious to know if it is possible.

If so, are there lower cost alternatives to the Oppo DAC? I would need something low cost and compatible with Android, iOS, and Windows operating systems.

As an alternative, a device that would extract a bit perfect digital signal that could then be sent to the DAC of choice would also work for my needs.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back