n00b question about headphone splitters
Apr 19, 2010 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

angle_sh00ter

500+ Head-Fier
I am thinking about getting something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-3mm-1-4-INC...item19bb2d8a40

The reason is because I want to be able to have 2 headphones connected to my amp at the same time to make it easier for me to compare them without having to fuss around with taking 1 out and then putting the other back in. My question is whether something like this will degrade the sound in any way?

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about getting something like this: 6.3mm 1/4 INCH HEADPHONES AUDIO ADAPTER / SPLITTER - eBay, Audio Cables, Cables Connectors, Computing. (end time 02-May-10 01:39:31 AEST)

The reason is because I want to be able to have 2 headphones connected to my amp at the same time to make it easier for me to compare them without having to fuss around with taking 1 out and then putting the other back in. My question is whether something like this will degrade the sound in any way?

Very likely yes, I believe - but the extent is debateable, also taking into account the headphones.

Some amps or whatever come with multiple headphone sockets for this reason.

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 7
maybe when both connected to the splitter the degredation will be equal in both so you can still compare between them, at least that's what my logical thinking tells me
smile.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Considering, that your standard TRS-plugged headphone shares a ground between the L and R channels already, I wouldn't expect a splitter to be a deal-breaker. And most amps with multiple plugs are simply incorporating the equivalent of a splitter behind their front panel. Just make sure that the amp is up to the task of properly powering both headphones at the same time.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 7
I have some Grado Y splitters I've been using for a few months now. I haven't noticed any degradation in SQ albeit in loudness I have w/ higher impedance phones. ymmv.

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 7
There are no massive degradation or problems to speak of. SO, for convenience a splitter is just fine.

For critical listening, not really!
Putting 2 headphones in parallel creates this situation:
- both headphones will get the same amount of voltage
- each headphone will draw a specific amount of current from the amplifier (in relation to it's impedance)
- the amplifier itself will actually see them as ONE headphone with much lower impedance and higher current demand

Also, if you connect 2 cans with different impedance and sensitivity values they will sound very different in loudness as well. The more sensitive one will be louder than the other one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back