n00b needs new headphones
Mar 3, 2006 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

standard235

New Head-Fier
As far as I'm aware, this is my first post but I've been around for a while. I'd like to introduce myself. I'm 13 years old in 8th grade. Race mountainbikes.

Now, I have a Rio Carbon 5GB MP3 Player. I broke the screen but it still plays so I'm alright with it. Now, my Sony MDR-EX71 headphones just died on me. I was very happy with them, but I wouldn't mind upgrading a little bit as long as it's stays around the same price. So nothing over $60.

I ride with these... my Sony's lasted all summer with me sweating and stuff everyday with them on. If I hadn't tried to use them with a fullface helmet on, they'd still work... but the wires were exposed anyways so bleh.

What I mean to say is should I just buy some new ones but in BLACK, or if not, what should I get.

And please don't make me get my asbestos suit.. I don't want flamed. I just kinda need new headphones... and they have to be in-ear like these.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 27
Wow that was fast.

I'm going to look into those.

Are they in ear type headphones? Could I get by with the bottom line Shure earbud?

I can't stand "normal" earbuds... they have to be the fontopia design.

I guess you could call me a "basshead" even though I listen to stuff like Atreyu and As I Lay Dying.... and a bunch of other rock like older Metallica and Linkin Park. Lots of good rock music.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 27
The cx300 is in-ear. IEM stands for in-ear monitor.

You could get by with the Shure e2c. It is bassy. But having heard it, I couldn't recommend it for the price. At $60, you might want to pick it...but it ain't worth $100. If you're willing to spend around $100 on an IEM with good low-end response, I find the Etymotic er-6i to be excellent. Awesome detail and punchy bass.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 27
You're only 13?!?! Go now!!! Save yourself!! And your wallet!
eek.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 27
Holy... crap.

Shure headphones = expensive. At least I'll be getting an A in Algebra!

Yeah, I'm 13. I have an expensive taste. I have a $700 mountainbike... and I'm just starting. I came from BMX... had a $2200 bike... which I still have...

Yes, I love music like I love my bike. Can't live without either.

I have NO money right now, but I can coax my mom to loan me some money for headphones. Which is why I'd like to stay under $60.

Should I just find somewhere that sells them and get the one with the long cord and no extension in black... MDR EX71 LP. I can't stand regular headphones now.. they give me headaches.

EDIT: I think I'm going to just get some new Sony MDR-EX71SL headphones in black for $35.

http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product...c1&N=101&Nty=1

I'm going to call circuit city first though to see if they don't have them in the LP version...

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 27
lol man. Thats pretty cool you race bikes, I've been into mtb all my life and lately have gotten into a bit of downhill. Its very similar to this audio hobby, once you start spending you dont easily stop. I really don't want to think how much I've put into my freeride rig. The first couple thousand for the bike alone is just the beginning though...heh.

I don't often ride with a full face helmet, typically the local riders and trail owners get annoyed thinking you're gonna rip through and kill everything in your path. (turns out you dont even need the full face for that
wink.gif
) But I typically use my Super.fi 5 Pro's with a standard MTB helmet. Fits great, very comfortable and excellent sound quality. With earbuds over rough terrain they have the tendency to fall out of your ears but I think you'll find the Super.fi series stay in, thanks to a flexible wire that you bend to fit over your ear. (keeps cable out of the way too) The Super.fi 5Pro's are a bit out of your budget but the Super.fi 3 Studios might be you're ticket. And get black so as not to associate yourself with the meddlesome iPod crowd.
wink.gif

Also where do you ride?

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 27
Yessir, MTB is my life now. Got a Hardrock Pro Disc.. said I was gonna continue BMX. Dropped around $800 in it including a chainguide, cranks and BB, chain, cassette, tires, and pedals. Oh, and a fork. I got a Marz DJ3 for warranty trade for $100. I could have kept it but I'm stupid and took the extra $100. Snapped the frame... bought a 2006 Specialized P.1 Cro-Mo. Not the greatest DH rig but DJ feels so nice with it. I'm going to race mountaincross... I live in Washington, Illinois. I ride Farmdale Reservoir.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 27
Very cool, the P1 is nice. Good choice. I've been on various hardtails since i got into it and with my latest bike it was either get a more serious hardtail (P1, Ruckus) or go full suspension. Well I picked up a Giant AC1 (the old ones, before Giant cheaped out on the AC line) and got an ultra light dual crown Maverick American fork up front and a Progressive Suspension coil 5th element in the back. 6" travel front and rear and I can still pedal it up hills unlike my bro on his Big Hit.
rolleyes.gif

Yea just a few weeks ago I spent too much time and money trying to get a MRP chainguide on it. It's nice but thats gotta be the most confusing part ever in the history of mountain bike parts! Look around for people selling their old DH frames and build one as a side project, money permitting. It would be awesome to have a P1 and a full on DH rig, you could hit any trail.
biggrin.gif

Okay man im sure these head-fi'ers want their forum back. So uh..good luck with the headphones!, just to say I talked about audio.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 27
Thanks guys.

Well, I'm going to try to go for what I posted in the link earlier. I love these headphones but I will try to sample some CX300's first. Or maybe those EX81's... not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back