n00b needing help: which amp for iPod + Beyer DT770?
Dec 20, 2006 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GTanaka

Head-Fier
Hello hello, as some of you may remember, I asked for recommendations for headphones to go along with my brand spankin' new iPod, and I heard a lot of heads-ups for the BeyerDynamic DT770Pro80s, which I just received in the mail today. Having already spent my entry level fair share on my music, I was wondering what I should buy for my next step: a portable amp.

I listen primarily to rock, though techno, classical, jazz, and pop can be mixed in. I'm open to anything around $400 or under
biggrin.gif

Once again, I applaud the Head-fi crowd. I'd be an idiot without you guys.

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 11
lol, I mean $400 for a MAX, not as an expected. Considering i know just about nothing about audiophile tools of trade, I was just tossing a number I could afford. Preferably, I'd like something in the range of <$150, but if nothing worthwhile sits in that range, I'd gladly go up.

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 11
Hi,
Congrats on the new cans and nice that their 80ohm, smart choice for the iPod and in keeping with the power savings needed for amplification for extended periods between recharges to the amp you choose. I wonder if you would be best served getting a line out doc and a headroom bithead for under your budget; maybe $350...
You might now go with that through the search function to see what comes up highlighted for you reading reseaech. Til a more focused opinion shows up here in your thread... O.K....

Hope that helps, Good Luck~

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 11
If you can try seeking out a Zero Audiocraft HPA-1 on eBay,they're really stellar amps and sell for peanuts($49) or you could try the new "Mystery Amp" thats been turning heads here on Head-Fi(check the "Mystery Amp" thread for details!) or you could try something else like a(n):

PA2V2
LDM+
Go Vibe 5(or 5S)
The new Xenos amp

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 11
See; Told ya they would pounce ta help spend ya loot ;-}

I know the line out seems expensive, but buy it once and maximise all your iPod can do as a GOOD mobil source! Then look into the PA2V2 ($60) which I have, and its not bad, but I do wish I laid down the extra $35 for the very well regarded GoVibe5... Check it out "Research Box" top right of the page in this Amp subforum... O.K....

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 11
I'd personally look into MisterX's XP amp which seems to be a modified PINT circcuit which if it resembles the sound of the PINT should sound fairly nice.

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 11
Well, if you want to go the 'cheap' way...

I'm quite happy with my Ipod 5.5G 30GB -> Cheapest Qables LineOut to Mini -> Little Dot Micro+ -> Beyerdynamic DT770(80).

The Qables LineOut costs about EUR 30 and the Little Dot Micro+ about EUR 65 (shipping and handling included).

Sure, you can spend a lot more but my wallet wasn't that deep and I'm very happy with this setup. But to each his own...

Cheers,
Matthieu

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all your replies peoples! I can tell you all definitely know what it is your saying, but due to price concerns and the like, I think a PA2V2 would be perfect for me, cheap in price, good in quality, and the perfect warranty (personal one
biggrin.gif
). Along with that I plan on getting some lineout to mini cables from Qables to complete the duo. Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back