n00b looking for some somewhat bassy cans
Mar 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Brockavich

New Head-Fier
This is going to be somewhat of a repost. I posted here a few months ago, looking for a pair of cans to fit some of the music I listen to. Some of you fired off some suggestions, one of which is the M-audio Q40. However, those cans have been discontinued and I wasn't able to find a pair for a decent price. I've done a little bit of research into this, but I find that most online "star" reviews are rather scant.

A description of what I want these cans to do:

What I listen to
I listen primarily to bass-focused and electronic music like Jungle, DnB, Dub, and Dubstep. Keep in mind when I say dubstep I mean traditional, actual dubstep (with a focus on deep, powerful, rumbling lows, that comprise a good majority of the track). Not modern "dubstep" that most kids listen to that sounds like a dying electronic pig or decepticon rape, that focuses almost entirely on mid-bass and screeching electronic sounds.

Sound goal
Now, as I'm sure you gathered from the title, my primary focus is on subbass and extreme low freqs. At the same time, while I'm not a hardcore audiophile, I don't enjoy ****ty sounding common headphones that muddy the sound too much, or completely overpower the mids/highs with bass. Again, though, primary focus is bass, specifically subbass (<20Hz).

Misc
I'm a university student, as such I'm out of the house 80% of the time, and usually get around via bus. Therefore, noise cancellation is the 2nd biggest priority, both cancelling outside noise from getting in, and not annoying those around me with my music. I'd prefer non-active noise cancelling, but either's fine. As well, they've gotta be over ear cans, preferably with good padding (this kinda goes hand in hand with noise cancellation).
Pricewise, seeing as this is my first buy, I'd prefer something between $100-$200.

A few candidates I've looked up already were the Ultrasone HFI-580s, Vmoda M80s, and AKG K181s, and the Q40s based on dozens of threads I've been reading up on here, and video reviews.

tl;dr priorities list:
1. Over ear
2. Lots of bass (particularly subbass)
3. Good noise cancellation (preferably non-active)
4. Cushy/comfortable
5. $100-$200

Again, thanks if you take a few moments to pop off a few suggestions, folks.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 13
Nah, I'm not into inner-ear. They tend to hurt more often than not. And alright. I'll consider him.

Btw, I've heard some very mixed reviews on the ATH M50s... Any thoughts?

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 13
What about the V-Moda M80? They are not basshead cans but they do sound great for the $. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm gonna go ahead and say it, the ATH-M50s suck. The cups are too small, the clamping is too tight, the bass eats the mids alive, and there is no soundstage or instrument separation. I tried two different pairs, in case I got a fake, but nope, they are just a mediocre pair of headphones. And then they went ahead and released a model that improved nothing for fifty dollars more! I now avoid Audio-Technica like the plague.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm gonna go ahead and say it, the ATH-M50s suck. The cups are too small, the clamping is too tight, the bass eats the mids alive, and there is no soundstage or instrument separation. I tried two different pairs, in case I got a fake, but nope, they are just a mediocre pair of headphones. And then they went ahead and released a model that improved nothing for fifty dollars more! I now avoid Audio-Technica like the plague.

The M50s are a decent pair of headphones for the <$125 price range. However, there are certainly likely to be a pair that are better suited to someone's particular needs. The trick is finding them.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 13

Totally agree.  I'm no audiophile but after some research I was sold that the M50s were what I wanted and compared them to the DT770s at Guitar Center.  The 770s blew the M50s away (and I was rooting for the M50s).  I really like the build and fit of the M50s but the bass definitely was muddy and took away from the mids which was a turn-off for me.  The DT770s had cleaner and punchy bass while having a really clear sound.  I still haven't spent much time with either but I'm probably going to buy some 770s.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 13
Totally agree.  I'm no audiophile but after some research I was sold that the M50s were what I wanted and compared them to the DT770s at Guitar Center.  The 770s blew the M50s away (and I was rooting for the M50s).  I really like the build and fit of the M50s but the bass definitely was muddy and took away from the mids which was a turn-off for me.  The DT770s had cleaner and punchy bass while having a really clear sound.  I still haven't spent much time with either but I'm probably going to buy some 770s.

For the longest time, the M50s could easily be had for under <$125 and even closer to $100 on sale, whereas the DT770 250 pro were often $160-170 AND need a headphone amp. At that price range, the M50s were also a good buy in comparison. So there are a lot of people that still recommend them based on that pricing scheme. For the current pricing of what you can get the DT770s on Amazon, definitely they are a better choice.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 13
To the OP, Im looking for something similar to you as I have the same music taste and bass cravings! Noise cancellation is not really a priority for me though as I will be using mine mostly at home. 

Anyway Ive checked out both the DT770 and the M50's and to be honest I cant decide :/  Is there any other headphones around this price range worth a shot? OP have you seen anything else you like the look of?

Also if I do end up purchasing the DT770's I believe I will need an amp??  I do have a Behringer UCA 202 DAC I bought ages ago would that power them through my laptop?

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 13
  To the OP, Im looking for something similar to you as I have the same music taste and bass cravings! Noise cancellation is not really a priority for me though as I will be using mine mostly at home. 

Anyway Ive checked out both the DT770 and the M50's and to be honest I cant decide :/  Is there any other headphones around this price range worth a shot? OP have you seen anything else you like the look of?

Also if I do end up purchasing the DT770's I believe I will need an amp??  I do have a Behringer UCA 202 DAC I bought ages ago would that power them through my laptop

If you don't mind open headphones, I hear the DT990's do almost everything the DT770's do better.  They're pretty much the same price as well right now on Amazon, roughly $150.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Yeah... I've heard very mixed things about the M50s. I've been tempted and not. But just the fact that they clamp pretty hard is probably a no no for me, as I wear mine for long periods of time.

Also if I do end up purchasing the DT770's I believe I will need an amp??  I do have a Behringer UCA 202 DAC I bought ages ago would that power them through my laptop?

Well I assume you don't literally mean the looks :p But I mentioned a few in the first post. The M audio Q40s (which are no longer made so I'm not sure id go out of my way to chase them down; no replacement parts), the Ultrasone HFI-580s, and the AKG ones.

But thanks for the suggestions and ideas, folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back