n00b cord replace question
May 3, 2003 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

r0z00l

New Head-Fier
I just got the Sennheiser HD 280's and i the cord is pissing me off because its coiled but i dont wanna buy an extention cord because there like 25 feet and thats waaaaaaaayyy too long, so if anyone knows a good way to replace this cord with a straight one id appreciate the feedback... (yes i have research online about the topic and i have used search to try and find a thread so dont flame me)

May 3, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 5
I haven't replaced a cable myself, and I don't know if the senn HD-280 has an easily removable cable or not, but I know meier-audio used to have a little section on replacing cables. You might want to check that out. I just looked it up right now actually, and it isn't much... but it's a decent start.

btw... glad to hear you didn't leave after that little fiasco,
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 5
uhm... hardforum doesn't make you want to spend truckloads of money... at least not while i was on it. This one just makes you want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollar every minute. Takes will power to not buy everything mentioned here... or just the realization that you don't have the money to buy anything here,
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 5
rzl,

what exactly do you not like about your cord? yes, it is coiled, but what else? is the cord removeable? if so, you have no recourse but to make an extention cord. one can be made up with a female and a male plug and some copper speaker wire. this is the safest route to take as you are not replacing the wires within the headset. your investment and re-sell value is sustained.

if however you wish to replace your wires INSIDE the headset, the question then becomes one of: does the wire only go to one side or does it have a wire in each ear cup?

if it goes into only one side, then a QUAD cable is called for - sepearate wires to each earcup and a commmon junction point at the 1/4" plug termination point. if however you wish to keep the 1/8" plug, certain complexities come into play, specifically the guage of the wire used.

it is easy enough to have a fellow head-fi'er make a Neutrik / Merkertek extention cable with whatever length of over-all speaker wire (or silver wire) made up for you. all you have to do is ask. many DIY'ers should reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back