N00b alert! - Head size & general advice ...
Nov 19, 2005 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PaulBoy

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings! What a great forum you have (directed here from AVForums)
I need some headphones for general use for mostly listening to music & occassional movie - source would mainly be a Denon AV receiver but also could be a PDA (Ipaq) or laptop when stuck in a hotel room etc
My budget is £80
There is nowhere near where I live to try out the 'phones so I can't listen to them & will be buying blind which I know isnt ideal
I like rock music Floyd Who Purple Yes & more recent stuff like Porcupine Tree Oceansize etc
I used to have some Senns which lasted years so would be keen to stick with that brand but would consider others (?)
Based on reviews & views here I have seen within budget the HD555 & HD25-SP - 2 different type of 'phones (over ear and on ear)
Which would be most appropriate for my big head! (7 and 3/8 hat size
eek.gif
) I also wear glasses which can be an issue
Your expert advice would be much appeciated ... Paul
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 8
I can tell you that I am extremely satisfied with my hd-25. Even though they are on-ear has you call it, I rarely get tired of using them, and I listen to them a lot.
I can't speak about hd555, but don't worrie that there'll be more answers
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 8
I sometimes listen to music and movies out of my Denon AVR1905 on my HD555. It's very nice.

The somewhat laid back presentation is good for watching TV which can be a bit fatiguing on a more agressive phone. And I've had some musical trips listining to psychedelic music.

The HD555 isn't great for rocking out. But everything else is very nice.

Nov 19, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies (1 from each camp) My main concern is the comfort - so how do you think I'll get on with either phone - I mean how adjustable is the headband on either 'phone?
Paul
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Do note that these two represent very different kinds of cans - HD555s are big, circumaural open home cans, though easily driven by portables as well, while HD25-SPs are more compact closed cans with good isolation that also are easily driven, but have less overall sound quality to offer. The "big" HD25 (different drivers, split headband), originally geared towards live monitoring and such, has gained a good reputation among DJs and would also be well suited for portable use in public transport, but this is not what you need. Neither home nor a hotel room are likely to require good isolation, but comfort and sound quality will be more important - here the HD555 would be the clearly better choice. As far as headband adjustability is concerned, an owner should be able to answer this. (A HD590 may be a bit tight on a really big head, mine is almost maxed out while the old HD535 has plenty of adjusting range left at the same size.)

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Some of those bands are Progressive Rock. Listen to some more progressive music, its great.
580smile.gif

http://www.progarchives.com has some free mp3s you can download.

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

As far as headband adjustability is concerned, an owner should be able to answer this. (A HD590 may be a bit tight on a really big head, mine is almost maxed out while the old HD535 has plenty of adjusting range left at the same size.)

... any HD555 owners here care to comment
280smile.gif

Paul

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 8
I have an oversized head, and the 555 fit just fine. Have you considered some MS-1? While not quite as good as the 555 for TV/Movie, I much prefer them for classic rock and such. Both are excellent and you wouldn't be disappointed in either, just something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back