N.A.S.A. - The Spirit of Apollo
Jan 28, 2009 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sabrage

100+ Head-Fier
Copied from last.fm:
Quote:

N.A.S.A. (North America South America) is an international collective of musicians spanning a wide spectrum of musical genres, centered around Squeak E. Clean (Sam Spiegel) and DJ Zegon (Ze Gonzales). Sam and Ze met in April of 2003 at a friend’s studio and began making music together the following day.

At first they sampled rare Brazilian records from the 60’s and 70’s to make tracks. However, what started as two crate diggers making music for the fun of it soon developed into something much bigger. Having forged a strong friendship through their passion for music, Sam and Ze decided to make a record with all of their heroes and favorite musicians.

The idea was to bring people from different worlds together through their shared inspiration and love of music. Thus N.A.S.A. was born, with crazy collaborations like Ol’ Dirty person (Wu-Tang Clan), Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs), and Fatlip (The Pharcyde) on one track, David Byrne (Talking Heads), Chali 2na (Jurassic 5), and The Gift of Gab (Blackalicious) on another, and even the unlikely pairing of Tom Waits and Kool Keith.

Soon Sam and Ze realized they could expand the concept to encompass an entire record. The idea is to ignore all of the boundaries and borders that are in place to keep people divided, such as musical genre, race, politics, geography, language, etc.

I know there's a lot of hip-hop fans on here, and I didn't see any other topics about this so I thought I would tip everyone off. This is one of the most wonderfully diverse collectives I've ever seen and if a song featuring Tom Waits and Kool Keith doesn't do it for you you could be dead inside. The album officially releases on February 19th, but you can find a few early videos and singles floating around if you utilize your google skills.

I haven't been this excited over an album in ages.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 2
I concur, looks like this is gonna be sick! Highly anticipated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back