MZ-RH1 Ease of use mp3 playback-wise
Jul 15, 2006 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

psynaptic

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow headfi-ers. I have used the search function and read about 6-8 thread concerning the Sony MZ-RH1 and still have a few questions. Let me start off by going over what my current portable rig is and go on to my questions about the RH1. Currently I am using iPod Mini 2G with shure e2c's. Recently the battery died and only lasts 15-30 minutes. Needless to say I am quite disappointed. I started to use my iFP-990 and made me realize how much bass I was missing out on the mini. Additionally, when I started using the Motoroal v3i with iTunes and the stock moto earbuds, I swear the first words out of my mouth described someone's mother vulgarly. But I digress.

I am currently looking at the MZ-RH1. Coming from being handheld by iTunes when transferring tracks, how is the MZ-RH1 in terms of transfering music? I have a lot of mp3s. Some with VBR. How flexible is the MZ-RH1 in terms of mp3 compatibility? How many hurdles and loops do I have to jump over or duck under and plow into, in order to use this unit as an iPod replacement?

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't own the RH1 specifically, but I have another late-model HiMD player/recorder (RH10 I think? Has an OELD screen). It's not bad, especially compared to the older MD models, but it is no iPod (or any other flash/hard drive player) in terms of getting music onto it. Some MP3s must be converted before transferring, and the 'recording' to MD is a nuisance, too, even if it is much faster than before.

All in all, it's alright. It's not going to kill me, but it could be better... I wouldn't buy a HiMD unit unless a) I plan to use it for recordings, or b) I need small-size, (relatively) inexpensive removable media.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 16
I bought a MZ-RH1 a few days ago with a similar purpose in mind. Had not so much time to play with it yet so don't read this as my final opinion.

I used SonicStage 4 CP for transferring and reusing my existing iTunes-formatted mp3 library. Doesn't work so bad except there's some annoyances with non-shared special tags, first coming to mind is DISCNUMBER which is not read by SonicStage/MZ-RH1 and result in multi-discs albums being sorted in the wrong order if you used this feature with iTunes. Unicode characters are correctly handled from both the application and the unit display, that's good. Application is a little cumbersome, quicker than iTunes at startup but worse at library management. Library updates are kind of slow, track transferts to the MZ-RH1 produce thirty seconds of application freeze, sometimes crash (one time so far, it was my very first attempt). Overall it's bearable, but doesn't appear so reliable regarding freezes only. Transferts rates are rather slow too, even though no transcoding is involved. No special mention as for compatibility, my tracks are mainly lame aps/-V2 and don't exhibit any obvious misbehaviour when played back from the unit.

My main grip with the MZ-RH1 concerns organizational features and track accessibility. It's more like what you should expect from a CD player: you can go to next and previous tracks, and tracks themselves are identified by numeric index rather than metadata. Album-based playback is ok (no gapless from mp3 btw), but they are also identified by order. (...)

Probably obvious and all this may not be a concern to people enjoying their CD players, as a lot still remain here, but you may be very disappointed by those (limited) content access/management functionalities if you're looking for an iPod replacement. As I've been for being just as naive.

Small irk at the headphone/line-out: behaviour is switchable from main unit menu, but it will automatically turn back to headphone out if you happen to plug-in the remote. And with some critical controls available only on the remote, including album skip (unit only has track skip controls), line-out playback is much less enjoyable. Btw, the bundled remote is not so cool and display not so expressive regarding tracks metadata (very reduced display field). Recording is cool though.

On a more personal note, I took the unit because it was a good deal, but at full price I'm almost certain I'll pass.

EDIT a few hours later: I indeed hadn't spent enough time with the unit, basic content browsing based on metada is actually possible from the remote, making the stuff significantly more practical. Still stuck for line-out.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 16
@walabee: is this special deal available online?

dannay337 mentioned that some mp3s have to be converted. What types of mp3s are these?

@astranovus: I read a few of your posts and I am curious as to how visible the OLED display is in direct sunlight?

Thanks everyone!

Jul 16, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by psynaptic

dannay337 mentioned that some mp3s have to be converted. What types of mp3s are these?

@astranovus: I read a few of your posts and I am curious as to how visible the OLED display is in direct sunlight?

Thanks everyone!

It's the same as any of the other Sony "MP3" flash players. I'm not exactly certain what kind of MP3s it converts (it does it automatically) but I'll take a look at them later when I'm at home and see what they have in common.

In sunlight (or even a bright day), you're going to have to use a hand to shade the screen before it's very readable. I have a Sony NW-A608, I bought it planning on using it for snowboarding. Hah! I might as well bring an iPod Shuffle. Awesome player otherwise, though.

Jul 16, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Thanks everyone!

as with all oled screens, it's impossible to read in direct sunlight, you need to shade with your hand

just a little plug i'm selling my rh1 in the seller forum

Jul 17, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
psynaptic - why a HiMD?

The RH1 is a recorder first and a player 2nd IMO. Just based on the functionality. Never heard one though.

I've always had an interst in MDs. I was caught up with either an iPod Mini 2G or Sony NH700. I chose the mini because I didnt plan on recording and the HiMD's mp3 support didnt seem all too appealing at the time. As I recall, you still had to convert mp3s to ATRAC3. Now that my mini is out of commission, and RH1 supports native mp3 playback. I'm trying to expand my horizons and take a peek over the fence.

@astranovus: I followed up on your plug, but I'm in Canada and you don't ship internationally :p

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Don't think so, sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
just a little plug i'm selling my rh1 in the seller forum

Interesting, as you were the last person standing to defend the MZ-RH1 as a music player. Unless this hurts your business, would you mind telling... if there's any specific reason to your decision?

I for myself am not so fond of the content management constraints (speed, ease of use, organizational features restrictions, reliability...), and even when corrects tracks are loaded I don't find controls and navigation so convenient/user-friendly to make usage pleasant (lack of responsiveneness, lots of submenus, sequential/numeric tracks indexing, bad grip on buttons...). Not so convenient to wear either because of shape/cable/remote making it not such a good candidate for portable, and although I enjoy the sound quality from headphone out better than from an iPod, I don't think I'll keep the unit either in the end. Actually the MZ-RH10 which seems to have more practical on-unit controls looks a better player to me, if not for it's bulkiness.

Note that I have no real use for recording (which I still find cool), never had the occasion to use an MD unit before neither any player from the recent sony "digital" walkman lineup.

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 16
if i get a good price for the rh1 i'm selling if not then not, not desperate to get rid of it,

sound-qualitywise its the best portable i've ever had,

i use it soley as a playback machine, transfer speeds are a bit of a pain, so i'm thinking about getting a hdd player again thats all.

the rh1 is on par with my indigo dj card, which is pretty impressive

i do have to say i've had minidisc player sind 1997 and really love the format, that's why i bought the rh1,
mds are a fab format and have excellent soundquality.

shame the transfer speed is so slow

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
i know you want mine for 20 dollars, :)

we all do!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back