MZ-R900 / MZ-R909 remote hiss?
Jan 16, 2002 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

edog

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Sony MZ-E90 MD player that I really love. However, there is one slight problem: when my Ety 4P's are plugged into the remote, I hear a background hiss during the quiet portions of the song. Connecting the Ety's directly to the headphone jack (no remote) makes the hiss go away. Therefore, I can conclude that the remote is introducing hiss.

So, I was wondering if the remotes for the MZ-R900 and MZ-R909 introduce any background hiss?

If their remotes do introduce hiss, how pleasant is it to just use the controls on the main unit? This is not easy with the MZ-E90, because it doesn't have an LCD on the main unit, and the buttons are microscopic anyway.

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 7
I used my R900 with the remote and Sony E888s, and heard no hiss. I don't have it anymore, but towards the end I started using it without the remote just 'cause it was easier.

So you're good either way. If you like the remote and want to use it, it should be fine. If you don't, the units are very easy to use without the remote.

Jan 16, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 7
Hey edog,

I owned the R900 and the E80 (no longer have them). I think the remotes introduced very slight hiss, but I don't really remember enough to say. The more apparent noise is the one that comes with the display backlight; less than most Panasonic remotes, but still not up to the mostly-silent level of Sharp.

Personally I don't like the R900 remote, because the "shuttle jog" (jog dial, whatever) simply isn't very convenient. The weighting is too heavy for twisting on the go, and it's not the easy single-hand affair Sony advertised. I prefer the E80 (E90 too) one.

Earlier Sony units can be a mess without the remote. You can't press stop, move to another track, and hit play. If you don't use all-repeat (no way to do this on the unit), you can't jump from the last track to the first by FF. How about trying to use your E90 sans remote for a while now? If you find the unit confusing or frustrating to use without the remote, it might be best to stick with the remote.

Now I shall go bake gingerbread Sony and Sharp logos, stick needles and burn... hope a little witchcraft will make them provide an option, so that we can connect to the phones out on the unit, even with the remote in place. Aiwa used to do this in the late 80s.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 7
I have owned my R909 for about 2 months now and haven't notice any remote-generated hiss... you know, the R909 is a portable that I use mostly on the go, and against the street noise you just don't care
biggrin.gif

However, I have made extensive in-house auditioning in the past week using the Grado SR-60 headphones, and I must say the remote does alter the sound adversely - it just blurs the mids making them not so trasparent and deep. However, this effect is far less obvious (although it's there) through other phones that I used, the Koss Soprta Pro.

Jan 18, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 7
I use the mzr700 with the mzr900 remote with ety er6, 4p, and 4s with amp. No hiss. Maybe your remote is crapped out?

Jan 18, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by dgs
I use the mzr700 with the mzr900 remote with ety er6, 4p, and 4s with amp. No hiss. Maybe your remote is crapped out?

The MZ-E90 uses a different generation of remote. Also, the MD player itself has a tiny bit of hiss itself. Usually, I'm not too worried about that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back