Mytek Liberty THX AAA headphone Amp Impression Thread
Jan 21, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #121 of 207
I played a "Test CD" ("To test your CD players, amplifiers, etc..." - a prehistoric CD, long OOP) with a single tone on each track etc. I needed to turn the RME knob left or right 13 - 17 balance units to begin to discern the faintest difference between the channels on either the Mytek or the RME. Turning the knob on the RME while on volume mode, I can discern 0.5 - 1 dB differences in volume. I don't know what that proves, just an observation.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #122 of 207
Even though I've read this thread and am aware of the issues that have been reported, this amp checks too many boxes and I've got to take a shot and having my own. I would be glad to hear from anyone who has one that DOESN'T have problems....lol

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #123 of 207
I've had no problems. It's been great. One minor annoyance is that the amp doesn't remember the last input used, so you have to change inputs when you turn it on.

That being said, I'm considering selling it and the liberty dac 2. They're both way overkill for the rest of my setup (Spotify, and fairly easy to drive headphones).

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #124 of 207
I've had no problems. It's been great. One minor annoyance is that the amp doesn't remember the last input used, so you have to change inputs when you turn it on.

That being said, I'm considering selling it and the liberty dac 2. They're both way overkill for the rest of my setup (Spotify, and fairly easy to drive headphones).
I'm moving up to planar magnetic headphones and I need power. This Mytek will be the third amp I've bought trying to upgrade from an RNHP(which I just love but only 300mW output). The RNHP has been such a great value I've been having a hard time finding something with more power that sounds as good or better.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #125 of 207
I'm moving up to planar magnetic headphones and I need power. This Mytek will be the third amp I've bought trying to upgrade from an RNHP(which I just love but only 300mW output). The RNHP has been such a great value I've been having a hard time finding something with more power that sounds as good or better.
@SunRa Fan which particular model(s) are you moving too if I may ask as far as planers are concerned. I guess for most if not all cases you will be covered. There maybe some cases when you will not push particular cans to their best sound but they will sing. Keep in mind that this is not just about power but also about synergy. However very clean and transparent sound from Mytek can really be a blessing especially when you have a resolving dac too.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #127 of 207
@SunRa Fan which particular model(s) are you moving too if I may ask as far as planers are concerned. I guess for most if not all cases you will be covered. There maybe some cases when you will not push particular cans to their best sound but they will sing. Keep in mind that this is not just about power but also about synergy. However very clean and transparent sound from Mytek can really be a blessing especially when you have a resolving dac too.
ZMF Caldera vs DCA Expanse. I have a Merason Frerot DAC which is one of my very favorite pieces ever. They're designed to sound analog and damn are they fun to listen to. Music(at least to my ear) just sounds so good through the Frerot.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #128 of 207
SunRa lmk if you're open to buying mine. It's basically in new condition and with all the original packaging.
The Mytek is already a done deal, just waiting for it to ship, thanks for the offer, but the other thing is, my luck at upgrading my amp has been rotten so far, even after 10 years in this hobby, which is to say that I need the freedom to return the amp if the sound doesn't work out for me.

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #129 of 207
My first unit had a loose front plate and the left channel was playing loud with the volume pot at zero. The unit was exchanged with the promise to make sure the replacement unit will be checked for no issues. The second unit has no problem with the front plate but the left channel still has significant volume when the knob is at zero and it should be silent. This is a problem for me as I use the head amp to control active speakers and with the knob in the off position my left speaker is playing music.

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #130 of 207
My first unit had a loose front plate and the left channel was playing loud with the volume pot at zero. The unit was exchanged with the promise to make sure the replacement unit will be checked for no issues. The second unit has no problem with the front plate but the left channel still has significant volume when the knob is at zero and it should be silent. This is a problem for me as I use the head amp to control active speakers and with the knob in the off position my left speaker is playing music.
I’ve seen more than a few stories like this about the Mytek. The only way I’m trying one out is with a return policy. I’m really hoping I get a decent example since this is the last amp I know of below $3k that checks all the boxes for me.

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #131 of 207
I’ve seen more than a few stories like this about the Mytek. The only way I’m trying one out is with a return policy. I’m really hoping I get a decent example since this is the last amp I know of below $3k that checks all the boxes for me.

I was impressed with the sound but at this point, I can't recommend Mytek. I have been trying to address the issue with them and they are basically not responding.

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #132 of 207
The Liberty Amp showed up today. Sadly, it's suffering from the channel imbalance issue and will be going back but that didn't stop me from also discovering that this amp checks nearly every box for me. It's got nice soundstage, good layer separation, not too neutral, good air at the top, perfect size, tons of inputs and front adjustable gain. It's a tiny bit shouty but that's a price I can live with in exchange for the good resolution. The volume knob isn't as luxurious as my RNHP but it'll do. If I can find a newer version of this amp without the channel imbalance I'll be set for the next few years. Mytek is really doing themselves an inservice by allowing customers having issues with this amp to suffer. It's much more appealing to my ear than the Violectric V222 that I had and at roughly the same size.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #133 of 207
The Liberty Amp showed up today. Sadly, it's suffering from the channel imbalance issue and will be going back but that didn't stop me from also discovering that this amp checks nearly every box for me. It's got nice soundstage, good layer separation, not too neutral, good air at the top, perfect size, tons of inputs and front adjustable gain. It's a tiny bit shouty but that's a price I can live with in exchange for the good resolution. The volume knob isn't as luxurious as my RNHP but it'll do. If I can find a newer version of this amp without the channel imbalance I'll be set for the next few years. Mytek is really doing themselves an inservice by allowing customers having issues with this amp to suffer. It's much more appealing to my ear than the Violectric V222 that I had and at roughly the same size.

The left channel is an issue? Sound with the volume knob all the down?

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #134 of 207
Mar 16, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #135 of 207
The left channel is an issue? Sound with the volume knob all the down?
Yes, sound still audible on the left channel when the volume is all the way down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back