Mytek Liberty THX AAA headphone Amp Impression Thread
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #91 of 207
What line out? The Mytek Liberty THX AAA headphone Amp doesn't have a line out. Or are you referring to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS? This one the line out is always on, but when you plug the headphones it switches to headphones and you don't hear the speakers. I don't remember if that's just a setting I chose or it's setup like that, but why would I need the speakers on when I want to use the headphones? I hope I understood your question.
RME certainly has a line-out switch. You just push the volume knob down. I am asking about MYTEK Liberty AAA. There are certainly RCA outs on it. I am wondering if they are always on or can be turned off?

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #92 of 207
RME certainly has a line-out switch. You just push the volume knob down. I am asking about MYTEK Liberty AAA. There are certainly RCA outs on it. I am wondering if they are always on or can be turned off?
When you press the volume knob on the RME it mutes - I just tried it.

You are right about the the MYTEK Liberty AAA - the 4th RCA's are outputs. I don't even understand what they're for. I don't have them connected to anything (why would one?) so I don't know if they're always on.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #94 of 207
When you press the volume knob on the RME it mutes - I just tried it.

You are right about the the MYTEK Liberty AAA - the 4th RCA's are outputs. I don't even understand what they're for. I don't have them connected to anything (why would one?) so I don't know if they're always on.

I can switch between line out and the headphones by pushing the volume knob.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #95 of 207
I can switch between line out and the headphones by pushing the volume knob.
I can't, at least not with the XLR's as outputs, don't know about the RCA outputs that feed the Mytek.

I also can't understand the RME manual, despite reading it back and forth multiple times and watching all the RME instructional clips on YT. Don't know anyone who was able to understand the manual, but I do know someone with much more technical knowledge who hasn't. I don't know how to change settings in this thing, I just switch back and forth and twist knobs until I get what I want. I have the EQ on bass boost in a reverse bass roll-off shape, and I just leave it at that.

The RME is the best audio update I've had in years, the sound is clean and the deep bass is gratifying. I worship this little box.

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #97 of 207
Is it still worth getting getting one for 1500? What are comparable less expensive alternatives?

For what it is I think the Mytek is a good deal.

At roughly the same price point you have the Violectric V280. In my review it comes out sounding roughly equal but with different strengths. I would still choose the Mytek.

At a lower price point I would only recommend looking at other THX AAA's like the SMSL SP400 or SP200. Though they don't have anything like the power and the presence of the Mytek.

Nov 25, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #99 of 207
If you are referring to chinese hifi, there is most obviously no way to compete price wise. But if your wallet is not necessarely dictated by pure monetary concerns, RME is a very potent adversary as Mytek is.
I have RME. Do you think it will benefit from adding Mytek AAA or RME is similar on its own?

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #100 of 207
I have RME. Do you think it will benefit from adding Mytek AAA or RME is similar on its own?
@ld100 depends what you are looking for and your objectives. Mytek THX and RME ADI are very transparent. Mytek adds no coloration so if you are looking for an amp that will change sound signature by adding color or musicality for example to RME than Mytek is not the right choice. If you are looking for transparent thx-based amp and need more power for your cans, than you can safely go with it assuming you are not using IEMs. While Mytek has gain option for IEMs IMHO it is still too powerful for most of them.

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #101 of 207
I purchased a Liberty THX AAA HFA from Audio Emporium in Milwaukee, WI via eBay. Brand new, in original box and packaging for $800. (I was skeptical about what I'd actually get at that price -- but it works great and is all in its original packing. The company itself (Audio Emporium) has a great reputation. Don't know if they have more at the same price. I already owned the Liberty DAC II and the new amp is now sitting comfortably on top of the DAC. I don't have any really hard-to-dive headphones (yet). But the two 'Liberties' really open up my Anandas and really makes the Focal Bathys sound great while wired (not that they sound bad using their own built in DAC). Noticed no problems when plugging my Shure DE846 IEMs in the IEM out put. The only different about that output is that plugging into it automatically engages the-12dB gain function. Not noticing channel imbalance at low (or higher) volumes, even with the IEMs, however, there is a bit of hum through the IEM output with the volume at zero, even with no DAC input. That about it after a few hours of listening.

I should mention, I'm waiting for my short XLR to XLR cables to arrive so I can check the balanced output.

Sandy

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #102 of 207
I purchased a Liberty THX AAA HFA from Audio Emporium in Milwaukee, WI via eBay. Brand new, in original box and packaging for $800. (I was skeptical about what I'd actually get at that price -- but it works great and is all in its original packing. The company itself (Audio Emporium) has a great reputation. Don't know if they have more at the same price. I already owned the Liberty DAC II and the new amp is now sitting comfortably on top of the DAC. I don't have any really hard-to-dive headphones (yet). But the two 'Liberties' really open up my Anandas and really makes the Focal Bathys sound great while wired (not that they sound bad using their own built in DAC). Noticed no problems when plugging my Shure DE846 IEMs in the IEM out put. The only different about that output is that plugging into it automatically engages the-12dB gain function. Not noticing channel imbalance at low (or higher) volumes, even with the IEMs, however, there is a bit of hum through the IEM output with the volume at zero, even with no DAC input. That about it after a few hours of listening.

I should mention, I'm waiting for my short XLR to XLR cables to arrive so I can check the balanced output.

Sandy
So one question. Has anyone found an explanation as to what the different choices for Crossfeed do. I assumed they would have progressive overlap and left/right delay of the crossfed images but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the different categories (except for mono).

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #104 of 207
Did anyone have a chance to compare Liberty II AAA with Burson Soloist 3X?
I have two DAC/headphone amp : Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and RME ADI FS. I got a Soloist 3XP since last april which is plugged with the ADI FS. The price was fair and I wanted to test its considerable power in replacement of the RME's headphone amp. I wanted to try more power in order to drive a LCD3 and HD800s. And my ears tell me it's a successfull match. The Soloist being class A, it brings out some slam and control to the bass while bringing some depth of the soundstage. 800s sounded meehhh on RME's amp. With this combination, or any upper tier powerful headamp, I'm kinda sure future headphones will be driven properly (Hifiman, Audeze or upper Focal).

I chose the Soloist, for instance, because of the amp mode which relieves volume control to the one on the RME. I haven't tried yet pairing it with the Mytek. I'd rather get another amp, maybe Liberty THX AAA, in order to get the same benefits than RME/Soloist. The Mytek Bridge's headamp has a better sounding quality than the RME's amp. But it also lacks the oommpphhh to drive the 800s and the LCD3 properly. Power is a wonderful corruption !

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #105 of 207
I have two DAC/headphone amp : Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and RME ADI FS. I got a Soloist 3XP since last april which is plugged with the ADI FS. The price was fair and I wanted to test its considerable power in replacement of the RME's headphone amp. I wanted to try more power in order to drive a LCD3 and HD800s. And my ears tell me it's a successfull match. The Soloist being class A, it brings out some slam and control to the bass while bringing some depth of the soundstage. 800s sounded meehhh on RME's amp. With this combination, or any upper tier powerful headamp, I'm kinda sure future headphones will be driven properly (Hifiman, Audeze or upper Focal).

I chose the Soloist, for instance, because of the amp mode which relieves volume control to the one on the RME. I haven't tried yet pairing it with the Mytek. I'd rather get another amp, maybe Liberty THX AAA, in order to get the same benefits than RME/Soloist. The Mytek Bridge's headamp has a better sounding quality than the RME's amp. But it also lacks the oommpphhh to drive the 800s and the LCD3 properly. Power is a wonderful corruption !
I am unable to compare the output power of the Soloist 3XP to the Mytek Liberty THX AAA.

The Soloist 3XP: "The Soloist 3X-Performance spits out 8000mW in XLR and 4000mW single-ended. Yet, it can drive headphones up to 110db sensitivity without detectable current noise. There is simply nothing like it in the industry." This is into 16 ohm, BTW, though this is not specified.

The Mytek website features this chart:

1671242135796.png

It's on the 3rd column of the 3rd column - 6000 mW into 16 ohms/channel.

So which one is more powerful?

Attachments

• Mytek Liberty AAA power chart.png
    Mytek Liberty AAA power chart.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back