Mytek Liberty THX AAA headphone Amp Impression Thread
May 9, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #166 of 207
May 9, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #167 of 207
Arthur confirms it's just website issues

May 9, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #168 of 207
But now that I've discovered this exists, I don't know why I'd need the V550 or anything else:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...dphone-adapter-cable-for-ahb2-power-amplifier

I don't need a volume control and the price doesn't matter. The AHB2 is only 11" wide.
It's interesting they write:
"All of these headphones can be cleanly driven to very loud levels with the HPA4 headphone amplifier and this provides a safer solution than the AHB2. Both amplifiers will provide identical performance, but the AHB2 will have the ability to play louder. This cable is not required for the HPA4. "

The HPA4 is only 6 Watts into 16 Ohms, and they list the Susvara as one of the HP for this configuration. So they say this is more than enough for the Sus...

Simonel

May 9, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #169 of 207
But now that I've discovered this exists, I don't know why I'd need the V550 or anything else:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...dphone-adapter-cable-for-ahb2-power-amplifier

I don't need a volume control and the price doesn't matter. The AHB2 is only 11" wide.
It's interesting they write:
"All of these headphones can be cleanly driven to very loud levels with the HPA4 headphone amplifier and this provides a safer solution than the AHB2. Both amplifiers will provide identical performance, but the AHB2 will have the ability to play louder. This cable is not required for the HPA4. "

The HPA4 is only 6 Watts into 16 Ohms, and they list the Susvara as one of the HP for this configuration. So they say this is more than enough for the Sus...

Simonel
That depends on how you feel about neutral sound, which Benchmark famously is. Vioelectric plays it on the warm side of neutral, and if you have any shot at hearing these before buying you should do it.

May 9, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #170 of 207
That depends on how you feel about neutral sound, which Benchmark famously is. Vioelectric plays it on the warm side of neutral, and if you have any shot at hearing these before buying you should do it.
I just compared the Sus to the HE1000SE on the Liberty THX AAA™ Headphone AMP. The HEK sounded much better, the Sus were 1) too bright; 2) clear and unpleasant clouding of textures into an unpleasant blob; 3) the HEK had huge fast bass, better than the Sus.

So the Mytek can't drive the Sus either...I realized I can't use the AHB2 b/c I need RCA inputs.

Simonel

Attachments

• HiFiMan trinity.jpg
    HiFiMan trinity.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 10, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #171 of 207
I just compared the Sus to the HE1000SE on the Liberty THX AAA™ Headphone AMP. The HEK sounded much better, the Sus were 1) too bright; 2) clear and unpleasant clouding of textures into an unpleasant blob; 3) the HEK had huge fast bass, better than the Sus.

So the Mytek can't drive the Sus either...I realized I can't use the AHB2 b/c I need RCA inputs.

Simonel
IMHO for Susvara you need Feliks Envy. Do not waste your time on other amps unless you are looking for something in Mytek THX AAA price range and/or solid state only. In the first case I wish you good luck.

May 10, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #172 of 207
IMHO for Susvara you need Feliks Envy. Do not waste your time on other amps unless you are looking for something in Mytek THX AAA price range and/or solid state only. In the first case I wish you good luck.
Feliks Envy is quoted as having "up to 8W output" - that's it, no impedance quoted. After my experience with the Mytek, which is powerful, and the Sus, I don't see the point of amps with single or even double digits power rating for use with the Sus. I actually don't see the point of any single digits rated amps for any of the newest HiFiMan HP, at least anything more powerful than the RME.

I ordered the AHB2 with the right cables today, we'll see. If this doesn't make the Sus shine, I give up. If it's not an issue about the need for a lot of juice to power the Sus then I don't understand what's going on. I'm not going to touch tubes b/c I don't understand them. I grew up with tube radios and all I recall is that they gathered a lot of dust, insects liked them b/c they were warm and bright, and as a kid I thought the radio was talking b/c there were little people inside.

Simonel

May 11, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #173 of 207
Feliks Envy is quoted as having "up to 8W output" - that's it, no impedance quoted. After my experience with the Mytek, which is powerful, and the Sus, I don't see the point of amps with single or even double digits power rating for use with the Sus. I actually don't see the point of any single digits rated amps for any of the newest HiFiMan HP, at least anything more powerful than the RME.

I ordered the AHB2 with the right cables today, we'll see. If this doesn't make the Sus shine, I give up. If it's not an issue about the need for a lot of juice to power the Sus then I don't understand what's going on. I'm not going to touch tubes b/c I don't understand them. I grew up with tube radios and all I recall is that they gathered a lot of dust, insects liked them b/c they were warm and bright, and as a kid I thought the radio was talking b/c there were little people inside.

Simonel
@simonelvladtepes good luck with AHB2 and please share with us your findings when it arrives. I'm really looking forward to it as Benchmark used to be on my amp list for long time.

As for Envy and your remarks about power and impedance: there is also an issue of synergy and sound signature your have to take into account. Anyway I haven't heard about a single person switching from Envy to AHB2 with Susvara cans, I know a case when somebody switched from Envy to Woo Audio WA33.

Considering everything being said so far I still like returning to Mytek with easier to drive cans for the clarity, transparency and speed (while IMHO with some headphones Burson amps in term of dynamic are better).

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #174 of 207
This is regarding the Susvara: is this a fact you get more clarity (and you also wrote elsewhere more bass) with the Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifier than with the Mytek discussed here? Did you actually do the comparison yourself with the Susvara?

Also, are there instructions anywhere on how to modify a power amp for speakers to use HP? Where do I get the HiFiMan HE-adapter? I'm not adventurous - anyone sells a modified power amp?

Thanks,

Simonel

Yes I do own the AHB2, two of them. And yes I do use them with Susvara as recently as last night. The clarity and bass of the AHB2 is untouchable. The reason I own two AHB2s is because the local price went up significantly and I had an opportunity to get a second one at the old price so I jumped (FOMO). Turns out it was a good choice because I like the sound of dual mono AHB2s even more than a single one. But if anyone had told me that finding the right amp for Susvaras would cost this much then I would never have bought Susvaras in the first place. Totally happy with the AHB2s though because they solve my tower speaker audio problems. I found a speaker switch box on Amazon which allows me to toggle between the speakers and headphones. Surprisingly my tower speakers and Susvaras both require the same input level(!?) so I don't need to change volume. And no you don't need to "modify" the AHB2. Just plug in a four-banana-plugs-to-XLR4 adapter. You can find generic ones on eBay instead of the old HifiMan HE-adapter.

Back on the subject of this thread -- I have actually been using the Mytek Liberty THX AAA as my preferred amp for Dan Clark Stealths lately. I guess because it's the only one with:
  • THX AAA ensuring a linear response without sub-bass roll-off.
  • Enough power.
  • A volume control meaning I have freedom of input level from the DAC.
That last point is the only reason I would still use amps other than the AHB2s. For many headphones my sweet spot requires a specific input level from the DAC, which requires the volume control be on the amp.

Sorry for the late reply - I was travelling the past few weeks.

May 12, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #175 of 207
I found a speaker switch box on Amazon which allows me to toggle between the speakers and headphones.
Then maybe with a speaker switch box I can use my monoblocks to power the Susvara! Why didn't I think of that? Can you explain exactly what kind of cables are involved (for example: 2 x two-banana-plugs-to-XLR3 cables from the monoblocks to the speaker switch box, and then what)? I have built in speaker cables in the wall with exposed wire endings.

Simonel

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #177 of 207
Is there a high quality speaker switch box? They all look like junk.

I can see a few good looking ones at the moment (models seem to come and go). Won't advocate for any specific model but you will need at least twelve terminals on the back for one input two outputs (or one output two inputs). They're generally all solid metal cases so I'd just recommend picking one with gold plated banana jacks. This does mean you need a bunch of speaker cables (banana jacks both ends will be more convenient than bare wire). But you can also buy those easily.

I'm assuming you also already have something equivalent to an HE-adapter. I'm currently using a home-made one that's just an XLR4 socket with each of the four wires attached to a separate banana plug. It lacks the protective resistors you'd find in an HE-adapter but that's probably less important for the very low sensitivity Susvaras. I've never noticed any difference in sound between my HE-adapter and the home made adapter.

May 13, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #179 of 207
@simonelvladtepes, don't forget that Susvara is polarity inverted. To get correct sound you either need to invert the polarity in your DAC settings or just swap red and black wires going into the HE-adapter.

Polarity inversion is something I noticed slowly over time, sensing something wasn't quite right with Susvara. The sound was too diffuse and particularly in live recordings the sound would appear to come from 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock instead of 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. It's more noticeable with highly detailed headphones.

May 13, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #180 of 207
@simonelvladtepes, don't forget that Susvara is polarity inverted. To get correct sound you either need to invert the polarity in your DAC settings or just swap red and black wires going into the HE-adapter.

Polarity inversion is something I noticed slowly over time, sensing something wasn't quite right with Susvara. The sound was too diffuse and particularly in live recordings the sound would appear to come from 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock instead of 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. It's more noticeable with highly detailed headphones.
Could that be what was wrong with the Susvara into the Mytek? I didn't invert the polarity on the Mytek. Do you have any reference for this? How can a manufacturer just release HP with inverted polarity? You're joking, right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back