Mytek Liberty THX AAA headphone Amp Impression Thread
Sep 12, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #196 of 207
After some reading I suspect they ALL have slight channel imbalance. I think its normal for these

I would not call it a slight imbalance... The unit I initially received from MyTek had a severe issue. There was music playing loudly in one channel even with the knob turned completely off. I would call it a defective unit.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #197 of 207
Anyone compare this amp to a Benchmark HPA4?

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #199 of 207
I had the Mytek and I tried my Susvara with it. The Mytek simply could not drive the Susvara. I did not compare it to any other HP amp (other than the RME), I compared it to my monoblocks. IMHO the subtle observations about differences between the Mytek and other HP amps in driving the Susvara are comparisons of how bad crap stinks. After hearing the Susvara with my monoblocks I have to drop my usual, gentle, cultured demeanor and civility and just scoff at the idea that the Mytek can drive the Sus. I also have to draw conclusions about reports regarding how various HP amps drive the Sus, meaning I cannot take seriously the judgement of those who make those statements. Sorry about being so emphatic and dismissive.

Other than the Sus I found the Mytek to be a POS in general, with my frame of reference being what my ears expect to hear in familiar recordings, auditioned over decades on multiple setups. The sound just sucks, distorted. I sold the Mytek, new, for about $500 - it's not worth that even new. I wouldn't use it even if you paid me.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #200 of 207
Good to know.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #201 of 207
I had the Mytek and I tried my Susvara with it. The Mytek simply could not drive the Susvara. I did not compare it to any other HP amp (other than the RME), I compared it to my monoblocks. IMHO the subtle observations about differences between the Mytek and other HP amps in driving the Susvara are comparisons of how bad crap stinks. After hearing the Susvara with my monoblocks I have to drop my usual, gentle, cultured demeanor and civility and just scoff at the idea that the Mytek can drive the Sus. I also have to draw conclusions about reports regarding how various HP amps drive the Sus, meaning I cannot take seriously the judgement of those who make those statements. Sorry about being so emphatic and dismissive.

Other than the Sus I found the Mytek to be a POS in general, with my frame of reference being what my ears expect to hear in familiar recordings, auditioned over decades on multiple setups. The sound just sucks, distorted. I sold the Mytek, new, for about $500 - it's not worth that even new. I wouldn't use it even if you paid me.

Checking what I wrote in 2021, I said it was "adequate" for Susvara. At least if you're confined to a desk. If you already have Susvara and don't have limited desk space then I'd certainly recommend a different, more powerful amp. Even a speaker amp will give you more fun than the Mytek. But for me now, I'd only use Susvara on monoblocks or a Holo Bliss.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #202 of 207
Feb 23, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #203 of 207
In other news, over the new year I tried two Myteks in a dual mono configuration. They only had one channel each to avoid crossing inputs so there was no extra power. But the experiment did confirm for me the lack of detail in the Mytek is just overeager crossfeed, not some filtering. Once I put a separate channel on each unit there was no "filtered" sound problem anymore. And controlling the balance with two volume knobs feels less awkward than I expected.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #204 of 207
I got Sennheisers, meze pros, focal clear mgs and Hifiman he-1000 stealths.
Currently I own Ifi neo dac and Vioelectric hpa222 amp. Is this amp any better than Vioelectric one? For some reason when compared to like Topping products I find Vioelectric amp bit warmish.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #205 of 207
I can only compare to the older V281 and V280. I found myself using the Mytek more than the Violectrics over the years because it has more accurate tonal balance and deeper sub bass.

If you favour wider stereo separation, or need higher power (sounds like you don't) then your Violectric would likely be better. The main things that people hate about the Mytek are the channel imbalance and crossfeed that is never off even when you turn it off. Those can be significant deal breakers.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #206 of 207
@Tank81 I can't answer you questions directly but I hope my reply will help you in a way.

Which Sennheisers you've got? For example HD 660S2 tuning may not be a bad idea (yet I don't think it would be best match: I've heard 660S2 with some tube amps for example and it got a nice, almost velvet like sound with hint of warmth yet without loosing much of dynamics) for Mytek since it has very transparent but at the sam time dry, a bit bright and some would say sterile sound signature. Focal Clears MG aren't my best match with Mytek. Haven't heard He-1000 or any other HiFiman cans with THX. All my Meze headphones have better synergy with other amps IMHO and Mytek is simply too powerful even on lowest gain for IEMs (so Meze Advars can't be used).

Some Audezee headphones can have a nice synergy with Mytek IMHO.

If you are looking for a transparent but at the same very sterile amp Mytek maybe you bet or if you want to have THX based amp in your setup. After few years I found myself that Mytek THX is the one I least use even thou it sits on my desk in front of me. One thing is that next to it I have Hugo TT2 which amp section is also very transparent.

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #207 of 207
Thx.. so If this is the case I dont think its amp for me. I got old Sennheiser 800 and 650. There was just talk in reviews that this should beat even Bryston bha-1. I might choose smth like Cayin ha-2a for my next amp then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back