Mystery of hot buffers solved
Sep 12, 2004 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sycraft

100+ Head-Fier
So I had complained about the buffers running hot. Not hot enough to cause problems, just hotter than I'd expect. Finally figured out what it was "The screwing Sennheiser cable. Thing has a slightly weak connection between the 1/8-1/4 adapter. It wasn't enough to short it and pass a lot of current, but enough to lower the impedance and cause some current flow. Also screwed with sound quality. No wonder I've been liking my speakers more and more with time :p. The ironic thing is it screwed with the treble mostly, which masked the 590's harshness to some degree.

Damn Sennhiser and their stupid cables. Love the phones, hate the cables. Going to cut the end off and fix a 1/4" to it. I already had to solder then other end permenantly to the headphone since it wouldn't make contact.

When I finally bit the bullet and get 650s I'm just not even going to wait. I might try a high end cable to see if there's an difference, but once I have something I like, I'm modding those thigns straight off. Perminant joints on both sides, no adapters, no unpluggable cables, no BS.

Either way, the buffers are now running much cooler and closer to what I'd expect, trebel and harshness is restored, and I want 650s more than ever.

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 7
Till I fiddled with it and heard static. Little bit of messing around, and I found out what was wrong. I should probably test the buffers as they may be damaged, though they never got hot enough that it should have been a problem.

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 7
I say just throw out the 590s and buy used 580s or 555/595s to tide you over until you can get 650s
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Nah. The 590s are ok, harsh, but ok.I can also always just not use the amp. They sound better than 580s without an amp IMO, which is why I gave mom my 580s (oops).

I'm not mixing anything right now, so my speakers are fine. I don't often use my headphones for normal listening.

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 7
personally i think u should be slapped for picking 590s over 580s, but then music is subjective so this time i forgive you.

Just don't let me ever hear u say something like that again
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back