Mystery instrument
Apr 24, 2003 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pj325is

Head-Fier
I have been downloading a lot of classical music off kazaa in the past few months, as i lack the physical equipment and fundage to buy lps and cds, and i decided to try schubert this evening..and randomly picked a piece entitled "Forellen quintett" ..and a prominent instrument in it is this weird xylophone sounding instrument that seems to have pipes below it or something..

My question is to anyone who has heard this..What is the name of the instrument?

Apr 24, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 19
another guess....is forellen a foreign word for "trout" I know it is forel' in Russian, which I understood came from French, and Schubert's famous quartet is the called "the Trout". This does not usually have any funny instruments in it however...just violin, cello piano and double bass, so I am not too sure...

Apr 24, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 19
Schubert, Quintett, Forellen, ... it has to be the Quintet for Piano, Double Bass, Violincello, and Violin by Schubert, also called the Trout. But there is no funny instrument in it. Could it be some sort of sonic artifact due to MP3 compression or decompression?

I love the old Amadeus Quartet/DGG recording on this piece.

Enjoy,
W

Apr 24, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 19
Hmm, that sounds like it could be a piano. But I'm no musician, LOL.

TravelLite

Apr 25, 2003 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 19
I've never heard a piano like that..in a live concert or in recordings...I don't see how it could be a piano, i've listened to the clip like 100 times and i just don't think a piano sounds like that..the sound is too abrubt and woody to be a piano..

Apr 25, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #14 of 19
Yeah, it has that muted tone which could be caused by any number of factors. I really didn't hear anything closer together than a half step (or 2^(1/12) times increase in frequency
biggrin.gif
).

TA

Apr 25, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 19
Trust me, it is a piano. I sympathize, it sounds like a Bahaman piano, but it is a piano. Let's look at the facts. This the the Trout Quintet. Schubert did not have crazy instruments in his repatoire. Furthermore, 4 people, including 2.5 musicians (I am the half musician, since I am sort of a music historian and sort of a cellist) have said its a piano. It does sound a little woody and hollow, but trust me, it is a piano. There is no mistaking it. Either it was a ****ty piano, or it was recorded poorly, but nonetheless, it was a piano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back