Mystery Amp Part 2: Minibox
Jan 4, 2007 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thekid22

100+ Head-Fier
so our same ebay friend who is selling the Xtra X1 has just posted some of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Minibox-D-Portab...QQcmdZViewItem
it looks like 6 have already sold.

Thoughts? Conjecture? guinea Pigs?

I emailed for more detailed info on its sound and a comparison to the x1 and the seller wrote that it has a "different sound..."

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 6
X1 opamp rolling? Isn't that only if you are comfortable desoldering and resoldering directly on the board? No thanks!
wink.gif

I'm intrigued by the mention of "USB Charging" on the minibox. I also see that there is a microswitch on the front - I wonder if that's a gain switch or what?

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 6
No i like it size. but how it sound?

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X1 opamp rolling? Isn't that only if you are comfortable desoldering and resoldering directly on the board? No thanks!
wink.gif

I'm intrigued by the mention of "USB Charging" on the minibox. I also see that there is a microswitch on the front - I wonder if that's a gain switch or what?

No dude opamp rolling means that the board has a Dip adaptor so you can change the sound of the amp to suit your need taste etc.. some of us have used every freaking op amp combo to get the best sound and yes it makes a huge difference most portable amps that the op amp can be changed use the op2134 because its cheap almost jellebean. Sounds tubish a bit muddy covers up mp3 crappiness and most people prefer that lazy sound.. some of us prefer to increase our soundstage and get the most out of our equipment any amp I cannot change op amps in is not for me I have a xm4 that is set up to use 3 seperate op amps with a switch hehe so no soldering needed
for opamp rolling

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrScary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No dude opamp rolling means that the board has a Dip adaptor so you can change the sound of the amp to suit your need taste etc.. some of us have used every freaking op amp combo to get the best sound and yes it makes a huge difference most portable amps that the op amp can be changed use the op2134 because its cheap almost jellebean. Sounds tubish a bit muddy covers up mp3 crappiness and most people prefer that lazy sound.. some of us prefer to increase our soundstage and get the most out of our equipment any amp I cannot change op amps in is not for me I have a xm4 that is set up to use 3 seperate op amps with a switch hehe so no soldering needed
for opamp rolling

My point was that as far as I can tell from the internal pics of the X1, it does NOT have a socket mounted opamp. Therefore, opamp rolling with the X1 requires desoldering/soldering the opamp. That's more work than I'm willing to invest - and I would not list "opamp rolling" as a feature of the Xtra X1.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...7&postcount=62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back