Myryad MC100 anyone heard one ?
Jan 12, 2005 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jimmysilvers

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I maybe getting hold of a Myryad MC100 and I wondered if anyone has experiences with this player. I know it is a bit of an older model now, but I was wondering how it sounds.

Any opinions would great.

Cheers

James

Jan 12, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi James. It's ironic for me to see this thread, as I have posted a few times about actually upgrading from this player...I own the Myryad MC-100, since summer, 1999. My manufacture date is Dec. 1996, so I have the 1-bit DAC.

The sound is neutral, clean, detailed and goes well with my Myryad MI-120 amp and Vandersteen 1C speakers. The build quality is quite good, and the looks are really quite a plus. I am only contemplating upgrading as I have had this player for a bit, and am curious if I can do better.

I got this $1200 player brand new in 1999, but I paid $800, due to a distributor clearance. I noticed someone selling the same one used on Audiogon for $475, I believe. It's a good player for sure, but perhaps not as up to snuff as some of the newer models out there (I bet the Myryad MC-200, for example, and the other usual suspects in the $1k-$2k range that are regularly recommended here). For $500 used, I bet you'd get other recommendations. If the MC-100 is falling into your lap (i.e. for a really good price), then take it and be happy. It's a darn good (just not elite) machine.

Hope this helps,
- walkman666

Jan 12, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks very much for the info.

Jan 12, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 13
Sure thing, jimmysilvers. Let me know if you want more info...I've had this player for over five years and know it well.

- walkman666

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 13
Hi again

Another quick question, have you ever listened to a Rega Planet and if so how does the Myryad compare.

Cheers

James

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 13
Hey James. No problem. Yes, I have listened to a Rega Planet, but not the Rega Planet 2000 (the newer version). I have heard the older Planet in my friend's system. While we have the same speakers, he has a much more expensive, Quicksilver valve (as you say) amp/pre-amp set-up compared to my modest MI-120 solid state. So, that'd be a confounding variable. My feeling is that his Planet is warmer, more laid back sounding, but that could be due to the value amp/pre-amp combo he has, so I cannot truly make a differentiation for you (i.e. I have not listened to the Planet in my system with my MI-120 as the power source/pre-amp).

From what folks have said here, there, and elsewhere, the Planet is by far the more "popular" player. Does that make it better? I dunno. The Myryad I have, and to which you inquire, once upon a time was Stereophile magazine Class B rated component, so it was highly regarded. If you cannot discern musical differences between the two units, and the prices are the same, I'd get the newer unit (build date), and likely be biased towards the Planet because more folks would be interested in buying it from you if you decided to sell it later on. The Myryad is a more obtuse name in the field compared to the Rega.

- walkman666

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 13
walkman666

Again thanks for the info.
I used to own a Rega Planet 2000, when I was still in the UK (Infact I lived only 30 miles away from where they are made, in Essex) It was a great player. But I had to sell it when I moved to Canada.
frown.gif

So I am on the lookout for another cd player. I don't mind Myryad being a little less known, although back home they are fairly well known.

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

James

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 13
Sure thing, James. Let me know what you think of the Myryad when you hear it, either at home or at the shop -- particularly in comparison to the Rega Planet 2k. I'd be curious to hear another opinion. My guess is that you are likely going to be hearing one with the 24 bit DAC tho; my 1-bit went obsolete circa 1999. There are relatively fewer of us who own this type of rig here in the States (although there is a dealer who prominently displays my two units within a mere two city blocks from where I type now...gotta love NYC!).

- walkman666

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 13
Well I got the MC 100 and I must say I very impressed with it.

It is the best looking and built cd player I have ever owned. Its a real joy to look at.
But the most important thing is the sound which is great, it is not as vinyl sounding as the rega IMO, but has a little more detail instead. It is has a nice mix between detail and smoothness.

So I am very happy with my new source. The only problem it makes my C320BEE look dam ugly.

I am not sure if it is the 1 bit or 24 bit model, I got it 2nd hand so I don't know how old it is.
Is there anyway by telling by the serial no ?

Cheers

James

Jan 21, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 13
Excellent to hear, jimmysilvers, and thanks for checking back in. According to an email exchange I had with Myryad about 2 weeks ago, they started replacing the 1-bit DAC with the 24-bit DAC in mid 1999. If you go to the back of the unit, there should be a sticker/decal with the "manufacture date" on it. Mine says "December, 1996." I gave my serial number to Myryad, too, and they confirmed that I had the 1-bit DAC.

So, take a look at the rear and see your manufacture date, and if it's before 1999, it's the 1-bit, and if it's after 1999, it's the 24-bit, and if it's during 1999 (which undoubtedly it will, "murphy's law"), it could be either one.

Glad to hear you like it, and ironically, I am upgrading mine to a different player. Watch, I like this one better...ha!

It does look good though, doesn't it? Glad you are pleased.

- walkman666

Jan 21, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 13
No date is on the back of mine, so I will e-mail Myryad to ask based on the serial number.

BTW, what did you upgrade to ?

Cheers

James

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 13
No date? Bizarre, Jimmysilvers. I guess the sticker must've been removed by the owner at one time. Myryad responded to my email within 24 hours tho, so you'll get your answer soon enough.

I am upgrading to a level 3+ modded music hall cd-25 by an outfit in Pennsylvania called Sound Odyssey. They are one of the sponsors on this forum. While I have not personally heard this modded player, there are several wisened source members on this forum who have strongly endorsed this product, so I am giving it a whirl. The price is right ($1200) and I have a 30-day guarantee to return it if it does not meet my expectations. I think it will.

I was also considering a Naim cd5i, but that would be $1850 with tax and then lead me down the never-ending obessive-compulsive "need to upgrade my naim gear" road. Getting the Naim, while so very musical sounding to me, could be a very dangerous move, wallet-wise.
blink.gif
I think the modded cd-25 will be fine, and I'll let you know what I think of the differences between the two players once I get it (2 weeks time) and listen to it for a week or so...

How does the Myryad stack up to your Rega Planet 2k? They are similarly-priced models, and I see you thought the Myryad as more detailed yet not quite as smooth as the Rega. Which would you prefer if you had to choose one? (I know this is a difficult question to answer as you may have different amps and speakers for the two cd players, you are making a comparison to the Rega from memory (not A/B), and you are in the novelty phase of the Myryad...but what the heck).

thx, - walkman666

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 13
Yes I hear that the music hall players are supposed to be very good.

As regards to a comparison, as you say it’s difficult to do. My last system was very well balanced for the rega (Marantz PM7200 (class A) and Epos els-3 speakers). But my new system seems not bad either. The C320BEE is a great amp for the money.
Anyway I think that the Rega produced a slightly warmer sound, with still quite a lot of detail. But the Myryad seems to produce a slightly more detailed sound, but still has a silky soundstage. I get the impression that the Myryad sucks a little more detail from discs, when compared to the Rega. But that’s MHO.

So far I am very impressed with the Myryad and I am leaning towards it instead of the Rega as my favorite. But it’s hard to say, it’s a bit like saying if you prefer tea or coffee when you drink both.
But put it this way I can't stop head bopping and air drumming when I listen to the Myryad.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back