Feb 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

johny

New Head-Fier
Mylarones X3: $60.

Etymotic Research ER6i: $70.

Brainwavz M1: $30.

Klipsch Image S4: $55.

MEElectronics M9: 20$

I'm posting this because I'm concerned about sound clarity. I also want to have good experience overall, but I think any of them will give me some experience that I haven't had before, so the question is about what concerns me most: sound clarity.

I know these are at different price ranges, but it's about if it's worth it or not, with clarity most in mind.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 15
I have only heard the M9 and the S4, but to my untrained ears (take this with a grain of salt) the S4 is a good bit clearer than the M9. For what it is worth though, the MEElectronics M6 can be had for about the same price as the M9 and I would say it is a lot closer to the S4 than the M9 in clarity. If you don't mind me throwing about IEM into the ring, I would say the Maximo iM-590 beats out all three of those in clarity. Just my take anyway from the earphones I have heard personally.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 15
hell.. The list seems to never end. I've just met one more: The Panasonic RP-HJE900. Totally confused now!

I'll look for reviews for the Maximo also now.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 15
Well, I auditioned ER6i and HJE900. They sound totally different. Both have great clarity, but I think the ER6i is a bit clearer. HJE900 has way more bass than ER6i and better extended highs. However, it's also more expensive if I am not mistaken. ER6i is neutral and accurate. HJE900 is colored and fun with lots of bass and sparkling highs, but no slouch in the mids either. HJE900 will be a better choice if you don't have a good source and/or a dedicated portable amplifier. That is, if you are using a typical portable player and/or an onboard soundcard as your sources. ER6i, on the other hand, will shine only with a good source and amp, but powered properly the ER6i may be preferable to HJE900 for accuracy and clarity if that's your thing. Although personally, if you are looking for the ultimate in accuracy and clarity, I would skip the ER6i and would save up for ER4.

Another option may be Hifiman RE0. It will sound better than ER6i unamped and has the clarity you are looking for. Actually, when amped properly RE0 will sound better than HJE900 also and in some ways outperforms the ER4, but unamped I think I would rather take HJE900.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 15
The Maximo iM-590  seems to be very good for it's price, but durability seems to be very bad/low.

[size=medium]I don't have an amp nor a good source (it's a tablet, a cheap one.) But I don't want to purchase any additional stuff, at least for now. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I thought the HJE900 was about $80, but there were a couple of deals that aren't there anymore.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Now I think I'm left with Hifiman RE0, and Mylarones X3[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] At a review, someone mentioned that he has small ears (which is my case also,) and he said "These seemed somewhat "itchy" to me."[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] So, I either will get these with some other tips, or get the Mylarones X3. [/size]

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 15
The iM-590 is rather microphonic, but I would not say it is of poor build quality. In fact, I would say it is as good if not better than the S4. BTW, have you checked out |joker|'s multi-IEM review thread? If not you really need to.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 15
I read on Amazon many reviews mentioning the durability issue, as well as one here on head-fi that I occasionally came across.

I will take a look at the thread now.

Now I've decided that it will be a good idea to just buy tips on my own, as my ears are small, what are good ones? I hope they aren't expensive.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
The Maximo iM-590  seems to be very good for it's price, but durability seems to be very bad/low.

[size=medium]I don't have an amp nor a good source (it's a tablet, a cheap one.) But I don't want to purchase any additional stuff, at least for now. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I thought the HJE900 was about $80, but there were a couple of deals that aren't there anymore.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Now I think I'm left with Hifiman RE0, and Mylarones X3[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] At a review, someone mentioned that he has small ears (which is my case also,) and he said "These seemed somewhat "itchy" to me."[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] So, I either will get these with some other tips, or get the Mylarones X3. [/size]

I think you may be better off getting Sunrise Xcape. $79 from Bugden Audio. Easy to drive and sounds good. RE0 won't be ideal unamped. The Xscape is supposedly very close to RE0 in sound quality, but easier to drive.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 15
Sony ex-10a are my favorite tips, but they are rather expensive. You can can get some knock off that are decent off eBay for less though. If you want a really tiny IEM for small ears the MEElectronics M11+ is about as tiny as they come.

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 15
In terms of clarity/detail the er6's will probably win.  Most of the other headphones you listed are much warmer and bassier, such as the s4, brainwavz, and all of the meelectronic earphones.  Clarity isn't everything though, unless you prefer that kind of analytical sound signature you may find the lack of bass on er6's boring.  

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 15
Between those, ER6i has the best clarity. But u should save and go for the ety hf5.

M9 is too far from clarity. And M2 deserves the step up from de M1.

S4 and x3 i don't know.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 15
uh *****... stop teasing me guys :D

I just read this in a review on amazon: 

Quote:
As someone once said "It's the closest thing there is to injecting the music right into your brain." I completely agree. It took some getting used to 'listening' to the bass as opposed to feeling it, but now these are irreplaceable. 

I'm getting it! lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back