MyEars beta - Custom HRTF surround wrapper for any PC sound device
Aug 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ear8dmg

500+ Head-Fier

http://myears.net.au/

Something for you all to have a play with.  At the moment it's a free beta.  It will become a subscription service from September if I understand all the readmes

Basically put on your headphones, do some calibration tests and it lets you download a driver with a custom HRTF for your own use.  You can calibrate to different sets of headphones and save separate profiles if you like.

First impressions - it works.  It seems to give me better results than CMSS-3D.  Compared to Dolby Headphone it perhaps gives less sense of distance to the virtual speakers but resolves with more depth.  I still think I prefer Dolby Headphone, at this stage though.

Quick testing in Deus Ex and DIRT 2 indicates it's working fine for games.  I also got it working in Foobar2000 by setting the Virtual Audio Cable it installs as the output device.  There are a couple of latency and clock rate sync issues but for a beta I think it's promising

The driver works using a virtual audio cable.  If I understand the way it works, it could be used to pass multichannel audio from any sound device to another.  You could, for example, install a Xonar and and X-Fi in the same system.  This might allow you to render gaming audio on the X-Fi and then use the Xonar to output it as Dolby Headphone.  I don't have a Xonar at the moment to test this hypothesis but it's tempting to grab a Xonar DG and give it a crack.

Edit: further testing indicates that the virtual audio cable is limited to 8 channel 16 bit 96 khz.  That may limit its use.  Try and change any of that and the whole schebang stops working.
The driver works using a virtual audio cable.  If I understand the way it works, it could be used to pass multichannel audio from any sound device to another.  You could, for example, install a Xonar and and X-Fi in the same system.  This might allow you to render gaming audio on the X-Fi and then use the Xonar to output it as Dolby Headphone.  I don't have a Xonar at the moment to test this hypothesis but it's tempting to grab a Xonar DG and give it a crack.http://myears.net.au/

Something for you all to have a play with.  At the moment it's a free beta.  It will become a subscription service from September if I understand all the readmes

Basically put on your headphones, do some calibration tests and it lets you download a driver with a custom HRTF for your own use.  You can calibrate to different sets of headphones and save separate profiles if you like.

First impressions - it works.  It seems to give me better results than CMSS-3D.  Compared to Dolby Headphone it perhaps gives less sense of distance to the virtual speakers but resolves with more depth.  I still think I prefer Dolby Headphone, at this stage though.

Quick testing in Deus Ex and DIRT 2 indicates it's working fine for games.  I also got it working in Foobar2000 by setting the Virtual Audio Cable it installs as the output device.

The driver works using a virtual audio cable.  If I understand the way it works, it could be used to pass multichannel audio from any sound device to another.  You could, for example, install a Xonar and and X-Fi in the same system.  This might allow you to render gaming audio on the X-Fi and then use the Xonar to output it as Dolby Headphone.  I don't have a Xonar at the moment to test this hypothesis but it's tempting to grab a Xonar DG and give it a crack.

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 3
I do think it has potential for gaming. After some more music listening I think it's a no-go. It loses a fair bit of clarity compared to Dolby Headphone and the soundstage depth info is too stretched. I don't really like the vocal colouring either.

I calibrated using Goldring DR150s but got somewhat better listening results with NS1000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back