My YAHA, and a terrible solution for ac hum.
Nov 8, 2005 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jbloudg20

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I have been dying to put my Jan/Phillips 6922 to good use, and I finally decided to build an amp for it. I really wanted to learn some more about tube configurations, and I saw the schematic and had to go for it! I accomplised all my goals, I learned a lot about tubes, and my 6922 is faithfully serving me now.

Here are a few pics of my *ugly* build... I like exposing the parts, but unfortunately I was a little hasty when constructing and dindt place my parts as well as I would have liked. Its ok though, becuase I'm building another soon, I just wanted to get this tube working.

Now for the main reason for my posting:
When using my 12v, 500ma wallwart, I get terrible ac hum. I wanted to make sure it was the adapter and not a problem with the amp, so I made one heck of an ugly attempt to use some batteries:
Dorm life+batteries+electrical tape=YAHA goodness

Now for my question, should I make a small filter stage to clean up the ac? Will this even take are of it, or should I just use a voltage regulator? I am preferably looking for something that will fit on the board is possible. Thanks for your help gurus!

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 13
Very nice work on that amp, it looks pretty cool. I would add a regulator to the amp, probably a basic LM317 configuration, which can be found in the datasheet, as well as all over the internet. You could also build something like the Tread. Remember though, all of these regulators have a voltage drop, around 1-2v, so you might want a beefier wallwart that what you are currently using. I doubt the current wallwart is regulated, but is it linear or switching? You can pick up some pretty nice wallwarts pretty inexpensivly from places like All Electronics and Jameco, so that and a regulator would probably be a good idea.

Nov 9, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Very nice work on that amp, it looks pretty cool.

Thirded.
icon10.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 13
^4th
icon10.gif

Ugly??? I think it looks great! I love that look.
If I were in Boston right now, I'd go so far as to say it looks pissah! Maybe even wicked pissah.

Nov 9, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 13
Wow, thanks guys!

I listened to it using the batteries (which only lasted for about 45 minutes) and Initially I though I sounded a lot like my Millet, though with a slightly more prounounced low end.

I need to spend some more time with it before I make any real conclusions.

Night time tube shots to follow!

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 13
The 6922 is a good little tube (too bad it does not have a good little price) It is quite open, airy, and detailed with very good bass control. My Nixon Dac (which looks a lot like the yaha) uses one and I quite like it.

Nov 10, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
Here are a few pics of my *ugly* build...

I'm with the rest of the crew, looks fantastic to me. I like industrial looking stuff and tend to prefer exposed parts.

<clapping> Good show!

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back