My X-CAN v8 arrived - some questions.
Dec 16, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 20
Congrats Kenratboy!! the MF X-Can V8 is a great amp IMO. Related to your questions I can tell you about my experienced with my unit. First, I've also heard a sound if I tap it. The only weird thing is that I hear it only on the right side of my headphones. I've burnt it in for 84 hours and even though, I like the sound, so far it does not compare at all with the Demo unit that the store lent me in the meantime while mine arrived. So that means one of two options. Either their unit has different tubes or simple it's been completely burnt and therefore sounds good. The main difference is that the Demo unit sounds more smooth than my one, which is still a bit harsh. And by the way I also have the Denon AH-D2000. So I'm still waiting... Kees suggest me that 100 hours will be the "brake" point...
Finally at the moment I've been leaving it On all the time until I finished the burn in period.

Cheers!

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #17 of 20
LOL, I only hear it from the LEFT side.

I will probably unplug it overnight, just to get some heat cycles on it, but regardless, I will use and enjoy it.

Unrelated, but the MartinLogan Depth i sounded pretty lackluster when I first set it up - but after some loving abuse, it started to open up, get louder, go lower, and sound better (and it was NOT in my hear, Audyssey confirmed it!)

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

First, I've also heard a sound if I tap it. The only weird thing is that I hear it only on the right side of my headphones.

Quote:

LOL, I only hear it from the LEFT side.

Depends whether the engineers screwed the bolts on clockwise or anti-clockwise when putting the lid on :p

Look guys - it's explained before. Your MF X-Cans v8 has true Class A activity. Like any tube amp, you get that ringing/tapping noise. Once you move away from tubes, you don't get it. Or just stop the breakdance routine whilst listening to music on the headphones!

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #20 of 20
Mike groto ( little Pinkie) sells very nice Russian tubes which cost 20 pounds? you could ask for exact pricing. One of these days will try my hands on some amperex
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, there are many who swear by the little Pinke PSU he made
smily_headphones1.gif
Take the chance to check it out
smily_headphones1.gif

i got a MF PSU and this upgrade make lots of diff
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back