My Westone UM3X broke. Need a new portable easy to drive (ampless) on-ear/IEM alternative. Current replacement list : Beyerdynamic DT1350, Sennheiser Amperior, Sennheiser Momentum, & the Westone 4.
Dec 17, 2012 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AdamskaPrice

New Head-Fier
My UM3X broke on me last week. The plastic tip of one side came off. The shop where I bought it from can't replace it since it was physical damage, but they're offering it to be repaired professionally. A week later, my sanity cannot be contained anymore. I NEED MY FIX. Since I've got money to burn, I did research to find the best set for my needs. I ended up with a list of these headphones.

- Beyerdynamic DT1350

- Sennheiser Amperior (or the Sennheiser HD 25-II?)

- Sennheiser Momentum

- Westone 4

My favorite from the list is the Beyerdynamic DT1350. Looks the best out of the 4 in my opinion. I just have a gut feeling that I'll be happy with it, that's why it's my top pick. A colleague of mine recommended it to me since I listen to a lot of Jazz, Electronica, Rock, and Jpop. Next is the Amperior. I heard they have more of that "bass power" over the HD 25-II. I don't dislike bass; in fact, I like having bass when I listen to a little Jpop and Electronica, but I want bass that won't affect my jazz. Makes me lean onto the HD 25-II more. Now he looks of the blue variant? Me no likely. It makes me want to scratch my arms until they bleed. The silver one looks okay, but I have a feeling that I won't like it.

Now onto the Momentum. First of, they look swell. Like a European brunette in her mid 20's. Although they don't look as portable as the other 3 sets, its over-ear characteristics alleviate the burden to carry in around. It does come with a nice carrying case. Now June in his review did state that this has a good amount of bass, so I'm leaning away from it for now. Finally, we have the Westone 4. I like IEMs. They're extremely portable, block out sound like nobody's business, and very handy for a guy like me who doesn't like using portable amps. The problem with the Westone 4 is the price. It's a tall order for me. 

Maybe the reason why I love IEMs so much are because I had crappy over-ears and on-ears over the years. The only over-ear I had was the ultra crappy Ear Pollution DJ baloonies. Got'em as a gift. Gave it a few listens, but the horrible sound and it's non-existent comfort drove me crazy. I never used them since. The on-ears I had were the PX-200-ii. I don't about you guys, but the durability of this thing is terrible. I REPLACED THE DAMN SET 3 TIMES.  First return, the left side lost sound. Second return, the volume control broke. And the final return, the hinge broke. I couldn't replace it because it from the store I bought it from after that.

I tired fixing it with duct tape, but when I put the headphones on, there was no clamping force. Frustrated, I used super glue on a whim. Worst decision I made this year. It was a complete cloudy mess. After all those bad experiences, I bought the UM3X and fell in love with it. It didn't need an amp, felt like nothing, isolated unwanted noise exceptionally, and was very portable. It was like a swiss knife to me.

TLDR; What I want from my new set.

Can handle jazz, electronica, Jpop, and rock.

- Portable amps not neccssary.

- Bass that won't screw up jazz.

- Can handle all genres without distortion.

- Portable enough for long car trips, airplane rides, and long walks. I move around a lot.

- Can work well with an Apple device (currently using an iPod Touch 4th gen) and the Samsung Galaxy S2 (Haven't rooted it and installed Voodoo on it, but I will soon).

Thanks in advanced. Please recommend me alternatives that you think are better for my preferences than the ones that are on my list.  

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 10
The HD25 has pretty much an opposite signature of the UM3X -- I'm not sure you'd be happy with that, especially for jazz.

The W4 should be an upgrade over the UM3X; the others I haven't heard so I couldn't tell you.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 10
Or if you really like the um3x (have you tried contacting westone directly about a possible warranty replacement?) you could get it reshelled perhaps.

Cheers

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 10
W4 is a very nice upgrade from UM3X. I listen to exact same music as you do (no jpop though :) W4 has slightly less bass quantity, but it is more transparent/clear and it has more treble energy. Soundstage on W4 is significantly larger too. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I don't know about the warranty side, but I live in the UK and paid to have them replace a cable on my UM2 and everything worked fine. Drop them an email, you've nothing to lose.

I'll try doing that after I get my set from the shop. All I have to do is send Westone support an email and then ship it to them if they the replacement issue is green lit? I've encountered a similar situation that a user here encountered (with the tip breaking off) and he had his set replaced for free. I hope I have enough karma for that to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back