My Westone UM1s broke - what now?
Nov 4, 2008 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

brent75

100+ Head-Fier
Use: the gym, and on airplanes

Music genres: Everything

Desired price point: Cost of UM1s again, or lower

I loved them for 2+ years, but the left ear just went out today. I don't want anything with less seal/isolation than those guys - I've tried the Vibes and the Metro Fi's and didn't like them at all.

Am I best suited just buying an identical replacement pair, or is something else out now even better?

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 5
Apart from isolation, what else are you looking for?

Can you live with less bass? Do you want more treble?

If isolation is a concern, at your price range, you should only look at Shure, Etymotic and Westone. And the Shures are not known for their price to value performance.

There is also a new Philips SHE9850, it's about $100, warm, bassy and rolled of at the top, not too far from the UM1 in presentation. You can find the review that I posted recently.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apart from isolation, what else are you looking for?

Can you live with less bass? Do you want more treble?

If isolation is a concern, at your price range, you should only look at Shure, Etymotic and Westone. And the Shures are not known for their price to value performance.

There is also a new Philips SHE9850, it's about $100, warm, bassy and rolled of at the top, not too far from the UM1 in presentation. You can find the review that I posted recently.

Just a good warm sound. If they have more bass than the UM1s, that's fine - just don't want a lot more.

I'll listen to everything from house to hip-hop to rock to acoustic, so range is what I'm after.

I love the seal of the UM1s so much because they don't shift at all during a workout (I do the Shure tri-flange mod). I've had the Vibes before, and the Metro Fi ones, and I got tired of reinserting them about 12 times during a workout because they were constantly dislodging.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 5
If you want warm sound, I guess you are only left with the Westone and the Philips. The Philips and the Westone should take the same tips. The Westone over the ear style might be more secure for exercising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back