My Wedding Present/Portable Rig Dilemma
Dec 5, 2004 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hassy500

Head-Fier
Hey All:

I just got married last month. Instead of getting us our third blender, my groomsmen pitched in and got me a 4G 20GB IPOD.

Needless to say, I'm getting a Contour Showcase case, a PocketDock, a pair of Sharp MD-33s 'buds, and a Meier Porta Corda II from the group buy here
evil_smiley.gif
!

My question is: Does anyone see any problem with this setup for workout/travel? And any advice/recommendations on my mini interconnect? I'm a quality nerd (Stax user) who will mostly listen to jazz and classic rock, with some occasional jags of ol' school rap/heavy bass (before you say anything, I don't have the moolah right now for Ety's or E3s-maybe in '05).

Thanks again; I'm never let down by the advice and generosity of Headfi folks!

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 6
Except for recommending the Etys (which I see you've considered), I'd suggest not getting at least the conventional white Contour Showcase. Although I like the protection it gives, the rubber coating in like cheap tennis shoe sole material and it picks up dirt/rub marks quickly. First time riding a bus in my case. I newspaper ruined it. So it's like having a beautiful iPod in a scruffed up tennis shoe. I even called them for suggestions and they said they get the complaints, but they like to keep the white to match the iPod (besides it's easily their top seller). They have colors now (didn't when I bought), so this might not be an issue with say the black. Just sucks that protection kinda needs protection. And this is my fourth case for various iPods. Never had the problem before. Also the iTrip doesn't work with it if that matters to you.

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Isn't amping the Sharp buds over kill with the nice iPod amp?

I mean, the iPod drive my ATH-a500's pretty well and those are a tiny bit harder to run than portable buds.

Dec 6, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 6
i dont know if amping the iPod would overkill. getting my Go-Vibe soon so i'll see what it sounds like from there.

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the reply guys. My logic with the amp is twofold:

#1- I'm not passing up this deal to get a killer amp for $125

#2- I can get some used HD600's or AKG 501's at some point in the near future

I'm ripping my cd's in Apple Lossless with the logic of listening to them on a nicer rig later, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back