My wallet will hate me for posting this thread, but... (to Grado, or not to Grado)
Dec 23, 2004 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

EricP

100+ Head-Fier
Within lies a possibly lengthy discourse of my internal thought process with regard to my current headphone setup.

See, I'm a musician. I know what music is supposed to sound like, and I've known from the start that the $30 Aiwa headphones I've had for eons didn't sound like music. I got a pair of V6s about a year ago, and I was happier, and I made the common new-to-hi-fi mistake of confusing immense amounts of bass with high-quality sound. Now, not to crap on the V6, because for the $40 I got it for, it's an unbeatable value, but in its case, all the head-shaking bass does is distract you from the fact that there aren't any mids, and that the highs, while quite clear enough, are not very detailed.

So, a month and a half ago, after saving up for a few months, I got my first real headphone setup (listed in my signature). The DT-880s were a mind-opening/blowing experience the first time I listened to them. The detail in everything was there, all of a sudden. I finally understood what people were talking about when they said "soundstage". I was introduced to the wonderful worlds of delicate reverb and decay.

However, I'm still a little less than happy. The bass is somehow lacking. Not in accuracy, certainly, they are amazingly quick and accurate. I'll confess that my primary mode of musical expression is indeed the bass guitar, and the DT-880 doesn't make me feel like I'm listening to a bass guitar (though it does do an incredible job reproducing plucked or bowed string bass). The "thwomp" isn't there. The "I'm sitting on top of my bass amp and my butt is going numb" feeling, only in my ears. The V6, despite its shortcomings, had it, and I find myself throwing on the V6es more often than not, despite the fact that my DT-880s cost a great deal more, and despite the fact that the earpads in my V6 are too shallow, and the drivers touch my ear, causing significant discomfort in listening sessions over an hour or two long.

What I would ideally like is this: Something that offers the same incredible detail as my DT-880 does, but just with more bass! Not bass to the point of being unbalanced (like my V6s are), just to the point that I can groove with it. When Flea gets funky in my headphones, I want to get funky with him, but I don't want to miss out on any of the detail I've recently discovered in the Joe Satriani CDs I've dusted off (after nearly falling out of my chair when 'Starry Night' came up on a mix CD).

So, this brings me to the question I've been asking for a week or so: Will a Grado do it for me? Specifically, the SR-225. As much as I'd like to fantacize about some of their premier offerings, I am unbelievably poor, and I'm already squeezing my poor budget's neck every single month to save for audio equipment. Obviously, if there is another pair of headphones that will do this for me, I'm all ears as well.

I don't want this post to discourage anyone from getting the DT-880; It's absolutely an amazing analytical phone, extremely well-balanced, and elegantly detailed. However, I am a musician, and I want something musical. Music is, in its nature, unbalanced.

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
What I would ideally like is this: Something that offers the same incredible detail as my DT-880 does, but just with more bass! Not bass to the point of being unbalanced (like my V6s are), just to the point that I can groove with it. When Flea gets funky in my headphones, I want to get funky with him, but I don't want to miss out on any of the detail I've recently discovered in the Joe Satriani CDs I've dusted off (after nearly falling out of my chair when 'Starry Night' came up on a mix CD).

IMO, the Sennheiser HD650 is exactly what you want. Most Grado models should give you more of what you want in the bass but the overall change in sound will be pretty dramatic. HD650 is closer to the dt880 and has more bass.

Dec 23, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 16
I don't think Grados are the right headphones for what you're looking for. They're very bright, with very narrow soundstage and whereas their bass is quick, it's not as deep as what you're used to. I agree that the Senn 650 would be the thing that you're looking for, however, at $350, they may be a bit out of your price range. Besides, they need a good amp. So, as a compromise, I would suggest that you try out the Senn 590 phones. They're easy to drive, they have the bass and the detail you seek. They're not as refined as the 650's, they're also a bit brighter, but not terribly so. They're a good set that can be had for less than $200.

Dec 23, 2004 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 16
The DT880s have bass but lack a little dynamic slam.Large amps and powercords help this situation but maybe not enough.Upgrading fom the DT880 is a little tricky because your options are limited without spending lots of money.If your Corda Ha-1 is the old style with the 120 ohm jack,you could always try a DT860 from headroom.If you find you don't like it you could always send it back.This headphone has more bass and slam.I think its a better headphone but you may not.

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the responses.

commando: none of my source components have a bass boost option. Is there some sort of external processor that would add that?

ssportclay: I do indeed have the Mk1 version with two jacks. I'm not entirely sure what the purpose behind having two jacks is supposed to be; obviously one has a 120Ω resistor behind it, but sonically, to me, it just makes the sound a little quieter. I'm actually running my DT-880s out of the 0Ω jack because it seems like there's a bit more juice to the sound.

Dec 23, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

I would suggest that you try out the Senn 590 phones. They're easy to drive, they have the bass and the detail you seek. They're not as refined as the 650's, they're also a bit brighter, but not terribly so. They're a good set that can be had for less than $200.

$130 at Amazon.com actually, good deal.

Dec 23, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
Thanks for the responses.

commando: none of my source components have a bass boost option. Is there some sort of external processor that would add that?

ssportclay: I do indeed have the Mk1 version with two jacks. I'm not entirely sure what the purpose behind having two jacks is supposed to be; obviously one has a 120Ω resistor behind it, but sonically, to me, it just makes the sound a little quieter. I'm actually running my DT-880s out of the 0Ω jack because it seems like there's a bit more juice to the sound.

The 120 ohm jack is the old international standard that nobody pays attention to any more but if you decide to try the Beyer DT860 you will need this jack very badly because this headphone will sound too bright and out of balance without it.The DT 880 will sound best through the 0 ohm jack like you have been using it.You have a 120 ohm jack.Try the DT860.

Dec 23, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 16
No!!!! Don't get the HD590s! They sounded like metallic clanging playing through glass drivers! I didn't burn them in, but seriously, they sounded like doo doo. I l ike my MDV-V900s way better. I ended up going for HD650 (not arrived yet) but the Grados were way way better than the 590s. At least go for HD595 if you want to play in that range, but for the same money, I'd go for the HD600 since they are supposed to color the sound less. I liked the Grado 325s but they colored a little too much in the end for me. Good luck!

Dec 23, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
I don't think Grados are the right headphones for what you're looking for. They're very bright

bright as in, high treble? or? i'm looking at getting a pair of Grado/Alessandro as well but i can't stand scratchy highs.. till the point it piercies my ear..

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 16
Grados have scratchy highs that pierce ears. They're shrill. The 225's are less so, but they're borderline. If you're going to consider the Grado/Alessandro line, do not get them blindly. Be sure to audition them first. The Grado line appeals to very specific tastes.

Dec 24, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 16
IMO the grado 225 really has a that great kick with electric bass, involving and impactful. Burn them in and get some flat pads and you'll be pleased. I don't find them too bright at all, I think involving and impactful is a better way to put it. They rock.

Dec 24, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 16
I'd have to disagree with the Senn suggestions, I own the 580 and have heard the 600 & 650 at meets, they do not do the bass groove as well as my Grado 225. Yes it goes low, yes it's accurate, but it does not have as much oomf & drive.

Take the opening bass intro to Led Zeppelin's Dazed & Confused, on the Senns you go hey, that's nice & deep, & there's lots of detail too, but even when you crank it up you don't really feel it. With 225's you feel it, the bass isn't any deeper, but there's a nice hump around 80Hz or so that gives it more energy, drive, & impact in the bass. Strictly speaking, it's a colouration, it's not as accurate as the Senns, but to me it sounds better, more alive if you will.

Dec 24, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 16
SR-225s do not go low enough for your tastes. They have great, snappy bass, but not a ton of it (they don't exaggerate what's there).

What makes them such a joy is their extreme clarity and resolution with even the most modest amplification. Their high end detail and instrument separation is tremendous.

If you're really a bass fiend, invest in some DT770-80 or if you're cheap, KSC-75/Porta Pros.

I don't know what people are talking about with these shrill highs...I'm currently wearing my SR-225s with bowl pads, and I don't find them shrill at all. The highs are certainly THERE...maybe that's your problem...you Senn folks like your highs rolled off...

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 16
Geez, those HD-590s are tempting at $130 just to get a pair, even if they don't end up replacing my Beyers as my main cans, they can probably still find use as movie watching phones, or for gaming...

Anyway, I've decided that I'm going to wait until after the Chicago head-fi meet to make a decision. Even though everyone I talked to recommended the Meier Audio amp to go with the DT-880, I'd like to hear it powered by some other amps for comparison's sake, and I'd also like to hear the HD-650, which I'm sure will be there, through my amp. By then, I will have enough for probably a new pair of cans, or a new amp, but not both.

I think the DT-860 is out, after talking with some other people who have listened to it, they feel that it is a phone suited for the portable upgrade market, and that it won't be nearly as detailed as my 880s or the HD650s.

Also, these cans have alternately delighted and disappointed me, so I'm going to put another month into them and see where I am then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back