My wallet is lighter
Mar 19, 2002 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Multi

100+ Head-Fier
I just ordered the Sennheiser HD600s from Dr. Meier!

I've wanted them for a really long time but I guess I never had the balls to buy them until I came here, this place is evil!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Of course I can't stop there, I'm gonna ask JMT for an amp. Then I'll be completely satisfied and never buy anything else! Right guys?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 31
Speaking from experience, I can definitely say you will be completely satisfied!
/shuffles feet

You'll be stronger than us, and resist the urge to upgrade!
/averts eyes

And your wallet will thank you!
/sweatdrop appears

Umm, did I mention I'm a terrible liar?
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 31
This place is evil indeed.

Before I came here, I was totally happy with my HD 590s.

Now, I've tried the HD 600s, and wasn't too happy about those either.

I wanted to buy a Stax Basic set, and now, it's no good either.

I'm a medical student whose bank account is soon going minus.

I'm currently aiming for a set of Stax 3030 Classic. Gonna try that one next week again, and if I can make the shop owner to give me a good deal, I'm carrying that set home, with a pair of Wire world Equinox III+ interconnects.

So my budget of $300 bucks has now gone up to $950 bucks. How's that for scary?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sometimes, I wonder if I should just settle for less and buy more music instead, cuz after all, that's what it's about in the end.

Mar 19, 2002 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 31
I for one am content with my HD580s. As soon as I buy a new cd player, I'll be done.

well, maybe I'll get a new cable for them.....and I'm curious about how much better the 600s are, but neither of those are things I really have a strong urge to do.

Listen not to the poor souls who are affliced with the urge to upgrade, some of us are happy with what we have. Some people actualy prefer the less-expensive stuff like the Senn MX500s over the fancy things.

There is one thing that could bring me out of my happy state, tubes. Maybe I won't like the sound of tubes.....hopefully.

Mar 19, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 31
I think I'll be fine, but some how just sitting here reading messages on this board, I wonder if I can tell the difference between the stock cables and the aftermarket ones, or if I could tell the difference between a JMT portable amp and a Corda HA-1. Lastly if I like the sound of tubes or solid state? All this talk makes me so curious, but after I buy an amp they both arrive I'm going to try to ignore my curiousity. When Doom 3 comes out then my savings would go back to upgrading my computer instead of my headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
. Considering how far away that is I'm in for a long trip of willpower
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 31
I wonder why there is so little emphasis on source here. Source upgrade was my next goal until I had a small tragedy. I don't blame anyone for wanting a $200 headphone or a nice amp but after that if you've only got an old CD player, it should be obvious where the real bottleneck is.

So you won't hear me convincing you to upgrade your headphone and amp. I say overspend on source, next.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, if you already have a Wadia, feel free to rub it in my face now and tell me how those Sennheisers and JMT sound with it.

Keiso, after the HD600 and Stax, we'll have to convince you that you want Etymotic. It'll happen.

Mar 20, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 31
Kelly:
I'm sorry to hear that you've had a small tragedy. I hope it's worked out, or will work out.....

As for Etymotic... you'll have to be REALLY convincing to make me buy that. Not that I doubt their audio quality, but in-ear types do not appeal to me....

But yeah, because of what you said, I think I'll skip the Stax Basic now. But I'm really curious about your findings, really. It's true that the Classic System goes much higher and deeper, but I wouldn't think to an extent where it was so noticeable without SACD recordings.... Did both systems use the same interconnects and source?

Mar 20, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 31
Spending more on a source is a great way to start off. Then amp, then speakers. I think it's great to go through speakers/headphones in steps. But when it comes down to it, my main order of importance is speaker/headphone, source, then amp. However, there must be no weak link, all aspects must be strong.
very_evil_smiley.gif

A good sound card is by no means just a "computer upgrade". It's a valid source if your cd-rom drive isn't crap. My sound card is way better than my cd player, and I think it rivals even $1000 cd players in sound.

See kelly, I'm not the only one appalled by the idea of jamming stuff down ones ears.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Keiso

But yeah, because of what you said, I think I'll skip the Stax Basic now. But I'm really curious about your findings, really. It's true that the Classic System goes much higher and deeper, but I wouldn't think to an extent where it was so noticeable without SACD recordings.... Did both systems use the same interconnects and source?

Both systems were using the Linn Ikemi CD player that I think Kurt has in his headphone system. The interconnects were better than Monster but I can't remember the brand--one of the popular brands carried in audio shops, nothing elaborate. The CD player wasn't SACD but some of the recordings we used were really good reference CDs. (The Verve Louis & Ella disc has become a staple for me.)

I wouldn't make any purchasing decisions based on my exposure. Like I said, we weren't there long and I didn't get any long term auditioning in that other people here have and I'd let their opinions carry a lot more weight. The only thing I would propose is that even though the extreme frequency extensions might not be missed by the average person, the average person probably isn't shopping for Stax to begin with.

I wondered what the 4040 would offer over the 3030. The 3030 was already completely flat, very neutral and hit the entire frequency response (to the best of my ability as a listener without equipment to determine). I suspect that this is one of those things I'd have to AB to discriminate. I wonder if its a thickness issue. If I had to guess, I bet the 3030 errs on the thin side because the Linn struck me as erring on the smooth side (which usually goes along with erring on thickness). Of course, that's based on a lot of assumption since I didn't get to audition the amp and headphone with a different source, but I did hear the source with my familiar HA-1 and W2002 so I had a little basis for comparrison.

Anyway, sorry for the thread digression. Yes, I agree this place can have an influence on one's spending. I've only been here a couple of months myself and have spent a good bit but I think it's been a pretty rewarding hobby.

My theory is that everyone here buys Etymotic eventually. I was anti-in the ear too. I've never even owned earbuds and wouldn't dream of owning the Koss 35 that everyone loves (that isn't even really "in" your ear). I'd bought the DT831 with the intention of using it at work because I needed a closed headphone. When I finally got to hear the Etymotic, it was instantly added to my wishlist. If you don't need a portable headphone AT ALL and you already have the Stax and Sennheiser, I can see you not wanting an Etymotic, I guess. It's possible. Just not likely.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
What about music?
evil_smiley.gif

Burn out the day. Burn out the night. I'm not the one to tell you what's wrong or what's right.

Mar 20, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 31
My 666th post was a Blue Oyster Cult lyric. Is that eerie or what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back