My wait is almost over....Death Magnetic
Sep 19, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #211 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't accept that people generally have different tastes in music? I mean, I wish everyone liked the same exact stuff I do...wait, no I don't.
wink_face.gif

Of course I accept but that wasn't the point to start with.

Well, neither would I
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #212 of 249
I think some people just like to complain about any group that is popular to sound more elite/knowledgeable about metal.......

OK lets see how people now rank Metallica's albums on a scale of ten:
(not sound quality)

Kill em All - 10
RTL - 10
MOP - 9
AJFA - 7
Black - 6
Load - 4
Reload - 5
St Anger - 2
Death Magnetic - 7

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #213 of 249
And there are also the people that tend to judge popular group's releases by lesser standards.

Because they find it an improvement or because they intentionationly ignore every compare with other groups for some unnominable reason.

There are much more of those and in a statistical way they are more harmfull.

There are plenty of popular groups with pretty decent releases (gave a list in a post a while).

Anyway, here's my score:

Kill em All - 10
RTL - 10
MOP - 10
AJFA - 8
Black - 7
Load - 3
Reload - 3
St Anger - 1
Death Magnetic - 6

Maybe it is developing into an upside-down parabola, will be happy if so but still not now.

Compare it to

Testament - The Formation of Damnation - 9
Exodus - The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A - 9
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient - 9

And yes, I have to compare, if not only for the reason that I can only listen to one thing at a time and my lifetime (if not my earing) is limited.

Other than that I gave my opinion on this and will be from now on a spectator on this thread.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #214 of 249
My scores

Kill em All - 9
RTL - 10
MOP - 10
AJFA - 8
Black - 7
Load - 4
Reload - 4
St Anger - 1
Death Magnetic - 7

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #215 of 249
My thoughts:

- Death Magnetic is definitely a grower.

- I think your enjoyment of it will be based on how much the idea of an "AJFA structure with some Load elements" album excites you. I like the fact that they didn't totally go for MOP Pt. 2, but instead made an album that has elements from multiple phases of their career.

- It's their 5th best album, easily, but maybe 6th if you create some sort of mix of the best songs between Load and Reload. Maybe

- Unforgiven III is easily the worst track on the album, and Judas Kiss isn't that great, either.

- Lars's drumming is absolutely dreadful.

- This is better than the last album by the following bands:
Testament
Exodus
Megadeth
Slayer (barely, may change my mind on that one)
Death Angel

- Exodus's Tempo of the Damned, along with Megadeth's The System has Failed, however, are indeed superior, as is anything by Overkill.

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #216 of 249
My scores:

Kill 'em All - 8
Ride the Lightning - 9
Master of Puppets - 10
...And Justice For All - 8
S/T - 6
Load - 7
Reload - 7
St Anger - 1
Death Magnetic - 7/8... Not sure yet.

MoP is still the career highlight for me, when they really hit their stride. KeA is a classic, but knowing where they went after keeps me from thinking more of it. And RtL has a great first side, but side 2 is weaker for me. The S/T "Black" album has not aged well at all for me. There are maybe 4 songs I still will spin. The Loads would've made a killer single album, so I tend to look past the filler on each. And I'm really enjoying DM, or at least the GHIII version, but I still need more time with it.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #217 of 249
I got this the other day. I'm very disappointed with the SQ. It's very "thin", there are crackles all over the place, and it just generally doesn't sound great.

The music behind it is solid enough, but I doubt I'll be listening to it all that much. The recording is horrible IMO.

~Phewl.

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #218 of 249
Wow, I've just heard the GH3 version (Flac) , totally diffrent ,
you can actuaclly listen to it with your headphones ( something i could not bare with the official release ) ,

Highly Recommended
smily_headphones1.gif

P.s
All nightmare long is one of my top 10 metallica songs , the bass into is excellent !

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #219 of 249
I've never liked Metallica, and I'm not that fond of Death Magnetic.

I think that compared to other thrash bands (specifically Nevermore), Metallica suffers from generic, watered-down sound. This is likely a function of how well-known they are, and their own place in metal history.

There's just nothing interesting there. Nothing really makes you go "whoa." It's dull, it's bland, it's lowest-common-denominator, widest-possible-distribution.

The most common reason why commercialized bands are maligned may have to do with "vile capitalism," wealth envy and other nonsensical leftist claptrap, but I often dislike commercialized bands for a totally different reason.

A commercial outfit is going to want to sell that album to as many people as possible, so anything potentially detrimental to that effort within the music will be expunged. Oftentimes what keeps metal unfriendly to metal noobs is what makes said metal good.

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #220 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compare it to
Testament - The Formation of Damnation - 9
Exodus - The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A - 9
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient - 9

Actually it is fair to compare new albums by Testament, Exodus, Kreator since thier debuts were only shortly after Metallica and all are still active and all started with same style music.........

Agree the new Testament is better, the Kreator album from 2 years ago "enemy of god" is better still for me and is probably best example of great music still being made by one of the original old school speed/thrash metal bands

DT is excellent also but a different style music and not nearly as old as a band

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #221 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that compared to other thrash bands (specifically Nevermore), Metallica suffers from generic, watered-down sound. This is likely a function of how well-known they are, and their own place in metal history.

Granted I had never heard of Nevermore until a few minutes ago, but they are a power metal band from what I can hear. Not my cup of tea at all, but it's really an apples-oranges comparison.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #222 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never liked Metallica, and I'm not that fond of Death Magnetic.

There's just nothing interesting there. Nothing really makes you go "whoa." It's dull, it's bland, it's lowest-common-denominator, widest-possible-distribution.

The most common reason why commercialized bands are maligned may have to do with "vile capitalism," wealth envy and other nonsensical leftist claptrap, but I often dislike commercialized bands for a totally different reason.

A commercial outfit is going to want to sell that album to as many people as possible, so anything potentially detrimental to that effort within the music will be expunged. Oftentimes what keeps metal unfriendly to metal noobs is what makes said metal good.

Are you talking about their early discography, or the later stuff? While I'm not that experienced with what was around in the '80-'86 era, I'm still pretty sure Kill 'em All, RTL, MoP, AJFA were pretty fresh when they came out. Just because they've been heard and copied a million times doesn't retroactively make them generic or watered down. If you're talking about anything since then... well it's not thrash, is it? And it's well established that it's watered down and generic.

I'm quite a fan of Nevermore (and I certainly wouldn't call them thrash. While I'm not really sure how to categorise them, I wouldn't call them power metal either. ezkcdude, if you want to listen to them to form an opinion, I recommend the Dead Heart in a Dead World album. The latest album is quite mundane. Probably won't be to your tastes anyway, though.). Yeah, they're quite distinctive, as they've merged a bunch of genres, and have something of a progressive feel. But hey, so did Metallica toward their mid-late '80's heyday. They just did it a lot longer ago, and there were fewer influences to draw upon.

Besides, simply being different doesn't automatically make something better. I personally find early Metallica to still be stronger/better/more enjoyable music than Nevermore.

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #223 of 249
Wow...

I just got this CD the other day and have about 8 play throughs.

Overall, music is an improvement over St. Anger (man that was a bad album).

The loudness war has been taken to an entirely new level. This has to be one of the most distorted and compressed albums I own. It's like a frickin' wall of noise in some places. There is ZERO dynamic range. It almost makes listening through headphones somewhat painful. I'm sure it would sound a bit better on a crappy stereo where you can't hear some of these digital artifacts but man, they butchered this thing. I guess it goes without saying based on the petition that has been started and the general rumblings. It's a sad story. Apparently it was already "brick walled" before it was even taken to the mastering facility and the guy that had to master it is "not proud to be associated with this one". Pretty sad for a band with this much $.

Man. I like metal and all but seriously, there's no need for this. As others in this thread have mentioned... that's what the volume control is for. I don't need it pre-distorted before I even put it through my equipment, LOL!

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #224 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite a fan of Nevermore (and I certainly wouldn't call them thrash. While I'm not really sure how to categorise them, I wouldn't call them power metal either. ezkcdude, if you want to listen to them to form an opinion, I recommend the Dead Heart in a Dead World album. The latest album is quite mundane. Probably won't be to your tastes anyway, though.).

I differ. I find "This Godless Endeavor" one of their best. But there are no unbest with them really, no way to go wroooooong.

Quote:

Besides, simply being different doesn't automatically make something better. I personally find early Metallica to still be stronger/better/more enjoyable music than Nevermore.

You must mean Sanctuary, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah but nowadays, as someone said, is like comparing oranges to (bad) apples. It is simply an embarassing comparison.

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #225 of 249
Currently listening to: GH3 version. Its 'OK' production-wise. The legitimate album is pretty much trash.

Early Opinion: Like more than St.Anger, S&M, Reload, Kill 'em All. Not as good as everything else (even Load).

Naturally It'll take multiple listens over several months for the 'newness' to wear off. But I'm listening and not wishing I was listening to something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back