My wait is almost over....Death Magnetic
Sep 5, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #121 of 249
Any speculation about sound quality from a pirated copy is exercise in futility, just wait for CD release in a few days..........looks like it will be heavily discounted

I noticed the Metallica logo has gone back to original design with extended lower points on the M and and A used for early albums Kill -> Black, perhaps an intentional statement by band that they are returning to harder sound, looking to change image

People should keep an open mind, too many negative vibes here trying to put down Metallica with giving them a fair shake
redface.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #122 of 249
I know. I am waiting for real CD before making making my final judgement. I just have huge doubts, the leak was just horrid for my ears and now im bit afraid... And the thing is, the free samples also had similar obvious artifacts (not counting in the inferior compression rate) that are on the leaks, so Im not going to spend a cent on it if the production isnt bit more cleaner. Funny thing is, these clips are MUCH louder and distorts worse than Cannibal Corpse's Kill album, and that isnt exactly an epitome of clean and clipless mixing either, but atleast they are periodical and heardable on sudden strong bursts and dissappear easily in the music, and not constant clip and crackle fest. Well see what this album turns out to be.

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #123 of 249
In the intro section of "Unforgiven III", there's an extended piano section. Does that sound like **** in your copy? Because (although I don't like the melodic stuff) to my ears, it sounds good - in terms of sound quality. Usually you can tell ****ty encoding by instrumental sections like that.

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #124 of 249
No. It actually sounds quite nice. But listen My Apocalypse, at 0:20 and from there on, the guitars sound a blurred and distorted overblown flabby mess of burps caused by very bad mixing, not real overdriven sharp electric guitar distortion. Just like in the official sample.

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #125 of 249
Aw crap. I bit the bullet and putted it on preorder from cdon.com. Saw a nice offer for quite nice price in my email...

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #126 of 249
Just listened to the whole album...

The demo's that they've released online actually aren't really representative of the whole album, IMO.

It's not the horrid stinking turd I was expecting. It's just a little turd that doesn't stink so much
wink.gif

To me it sounds like it's the next progression from Load if anything, IMO.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #127 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed the Metallica logo has gone back to original design with extended lower points on the M and and A used for early albums Kill -> Black, perhaps an intentional statement by band that they are returning to harder sound, looking to change image

People should keep an open mind, too many negative vibes here trying to put down Metallica with giving them a fair shake
redface.gif

Also note that producer for Death Magnetic is Rick Ruben famous for his work with 1980's Slayer albums so everything is pointing to a partial return of original sound and a new image for Metallica. Strange to have a Friday release date instead of usual Tuesday.......this is nothing like St Anger fiasco, we have guitar solos back again \m/

James Hetfield was never a great vocalist (no rasp effect or high/low range) even in the early days, but since he was founder of the group hard to kick him out. And yes Lars is not great drummer compared to metal gods like Hoglan, Lombardo etc but this album sounds good to me and a great comeback for Metallica

Six songs just posted at bands website:
Songs

Check that guitar solo in "judas kiss" best I have heard since MOP album for Metallica.........
Also sound quality on these offical website tracks sounds good to me

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #128 of 249
Quote:

Also note that producer for Death Magnetic is Rick Ruben famous for his work with 1980's Slayer albums so everything is pointing to a partial return of original sound and a new image for Metallica. Strange to have a Friday release date instead of usual Tuesday.......this is nothing like St Anger fiasco, we have guitar solos back again \m/

James Hetfield was never a great vocalist (no rasp effect or high/low range) even in the early days, but since he was founder of the group hard to kick him out. And yes Lars is not great drummer compared to metal gods like Hoglan, Lombardo etc but this album sounds good to me and a great comeback for Metallica

Six songs just posted at bands website:
Songs

Check that guitar solo in "judas kiss" best I have heard since MOP album for Metallica.........
Also sound quality on these offical website tracks sounds good to me

Ha! Exactly, I don't see how people can deny that it was Bob Rock that screwed Metallica over. You'll notice every album before the Black album did not have Bob Rock as producer and Death Magnetic does not have him either. Black album to St. Anger did.

And as for those six songs (the only ones I have heard right now) my favorite right now is All Nightmare Long. I think James did a good job of vocals for the chorus. I will have to check out the Judas Kiss solo too, I only listened to that song once last night.

Lars' drumming is hilarious. Watch The Day That Never Comes 'short film' on their site and watch where Lars just does a weird drum roll like part for no reason at all ha ha.

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #129 of 249
While I'm also not a fan of Metallica's music from Load to the present, bashing them really takes the whole forum down a notch. It's unfortunate that some posters can't toe that line and end up leaping past it x_x

Anyway, what's the verdict on the mastering and recording quality of the album?

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #130 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I'm also not a fan of Metallica's music from Load to the present, bashing them really takes the whole forum down a notch. It's unfortunate that some posters can't toe that line and end up leaping past it x_x

Anyway, what's the verdict on the mastering and recording quality of the album?

Very few can say for sure right now. It hasn't been released yet. Only few lucky bas...people in France have it, causing it to be leaked. It will be released on the 12th I should have my copy no later than the 15th.

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #131 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can almost feel the effort, and stress they were under when recording this album. Everything tight, and almost clinical.

Contrast this to the songs they've put up on the site recently and you can feel the "fun/laziness" they're having in comparison. It's all about the feel now.

Am I wrong?

I agree with you, definitely get the same feeling after listening to this new album. In parts it feels like a garage band that recorded one of their jamming sessions.

There's some decent material in Death Magnetic though, I am taking quite a liking to "Broken Beat and Scarred". Would have been a much stronger album if they had trimmed out some of the weaker parts/songs; at 75mins playing time there's definitely some room to work with.

Although, not to bring up issues of copying riffs again, but one of the riffs from "The End Of The Line" sounds almost identical to the one from Communic's "Under A Luminous Sky". Comes in at around 0:50 on the latter, and 0:40 on Metallica's song.

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #132 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentVX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's some decent material in Death Magnetic though, I am taking quite a liking to "Broken Beat and Scarred". Would have been a much stronger album if they had trimmed out some of the weaker parts/songs; at 75mins playing time there's definitely some room to work with.

Didn't realize album times out at 75 minutes, impressive.
I have new faith in Metallica's comeback to good music.........

MM
Why are you not getting new album on 9/12, why deny yourself
smile.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #133 of 249
Quote:

Didn't realize album times out at 75 minutes, impressive.
I have new faith in Metallica's comeback to good music.........

MM
Why are you not getting new album on 9/12, why deny yourself
smile.gif

I preordered it. So I have to wait for shipping, although I don't see why they can't ship it early so I can get it on the 12th. At least it won't be like when I preordered Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life And Death, I had to wait two weeks for it because it was on back order. Then I got a Japanese copy and the computer doesn't recognize the language on it. I preordered that cd because it had the DVD with it, just to find out that they released it with the DVD as well. I think I may be done preordering online.

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #135 of 249
I have only heard the first single, but the mastering on my copy is complete ****. Seriously... this is rubbish. This cannot be indicative of the actual album version, because I don't think Lars and the gang are morons.

I have faith in Metallica, and I knew the day would come that they would return to their original sound. One thing that intrigues me most is that this is the first album for Trujillo, who seems like a really talented and thoughtful guy. Still have to hear the whole album in sequence to make an accurate judgment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back