My W3 phones are dead, long live the ....? (recommendations needed)
Dec 2, 2009 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Trager

500+ Head-Fier
Alas and alack, my car door done munched up my beloved Westone 3s (with clipped triflange tips). Therefore, I'm in the market for some new IEMs. I've been out of circulation for a while, so I'm not quite up on the latest developments in the market. From what I can tell from my first hour or so back on head-fi, it looks like the UM3X has kind of become the standard. What else am I missing? As you can see from my .sig, I've moved through a lot of different phones. I tend to prioritize clarity over warmth or bass, but a good full range and musical balance is almost as important.

In addition, I'd prefer to keep the price down for once... in the past, I had less qualms about dropping 3-400$ on phones, but the recession has hit everyone. I'm considering trying out a pair of Atrio v2, since I was pretty happy with my original M5s (with Ety foam sleeves, which did wonders for opening up the top end and making the phones clearer and more balanced).

So... I throw myself on the mercy of this merciless bunch of music mavens. Whaddya think?

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 23
Oh, I probably should mention that my primary source right now is an iPhone 3GS (which, BTW, has greatly improved sound over the older 3G and over the iPhone classics that I've owned).

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I probably should mention that my primary source right now is an iPhone 3GS (which, BTW, has greatly improved sound over the older 3G and over the iPhone classics that I've owned).

Although you'd find my answer odd given your opening message, I say give a try to Sennheiser's IE8. Just got mine y'day. I was expecting something muddy and bloated OOTB, but plugged them to my iPhone (2g) eqd at increased treble and they sound very nice and quite detailed. They should be inproving over time what would translate into not equalizing them. Isolation is not Klipsch/Ety quality, but that gives them an "airyness" signature.

last night I also plugged them to my Vaio and I fully understand why people belive their bass is overpowered... but "synergy" with my iPhone is MUCH better.

If you have a chance to audition them...

Hope it helps.

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 23
Ya the UM3x, or maybe get some used TF10 and get customs made with em or something.

so what happened to your W3? how'd you kill em. I'm confused, and amazed as I don't see how so many people aren't careful with there expensive stuff like W3's. (no offense)
You closed the door on it?

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 23
I had the TF10s, couldn't stand them. The mid-range recession was awful, and I didn't like the fit very much either.

My Westones get a ridiculous amount of use, and when I am interrupted while wearing them, I tend to just sling them around my neck. I was in such a rush getting into my car that I didn't notice that they slipped off my shoulder and down across my lap instead. Le sigh.

@Nachodlv: Interesting... I think the bass on the 3GS is quite a bit better than the earlier iPhones, though. I'd be a little more skeptical of the synergy if it's specific to the second gen.

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 23
Well what did you like about the W3?

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 23
I have the UM3X and have my doubts with them. They are a tad bit bassy and too forward sounding (I listen to Grado's when i want forward sounding cans). Have you tried something cheaper like the Head-Direct RE0? They are still on ssale for $79us: Head-Direct.com | YUIN

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 23
I broke my Westone 3's recently also, however the monitors themselves are still good so I'm debating having them converted to customs.

I didn't notice a mention of the Shure SE530's in your sig, have you considered those? I had those before the Westone 3's. The W3's had more bass, however I feel the SE530's sounded 'better' overall.

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 23
I couldn't stand the lack of high end on the SE530s, the one time I tried them. I never considered owning them for that reason.

Right now, I'm kind of considering the Head-direct RE0, and also the Klipsch Image S4i (since it might be nice to have an integrated mic that I don't have to worry about). Although I loved the clarity and detail of my Westones, I have to admit that when I've gone back to my Atrios (for a little while, for a variety of reasons), there's always something that grabs me a little bit. I think the dynamic drivers have just a little more punch and liveliness than the armatures, and if i could find a pair of dynamic phones with good detail, that might be the ticket. Both S4i and RE0 have supporters that make that claim.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 23
punch and liveliness is the realm of dynamic drivers, that is true. but even among dynamics, you can get very solidly performing neutral earphones. One thing BA drivers do better is exhibit fewer characteristic sounds of the driver material. In any sized dynamic, I can hear the driver in the music. I like it, but not everyone does.

If you are looking for clarity and nuetrality, another pretty good iem is the Earsonics SM2,which is the made-in-france dual driver model. It comes in two versions: DLX (with westone cable) and regular which comes in a different, but robust version.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 23
Aww man RIP W3, I would be curious about the UM3X but may prove too neutral sounding (from what I have read about them - sorry no experience with them) for you coming from a W3. I wonder if JH Audio will come out with any universals. Good luck in your search.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 23
Aren't the Earsonics balanced armature phones, and in the 300$ range? I think that if I'm going to look at armature phones in that price range, I'll probably try the UM3X... but I'm kind of hoping that my weakness for dynamic driver phones lets me get away with something considerably cheaper, since I can't readily afford a set of the big dogs right now.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 23
Etymotic Hf2? Seems like a good midpoint between the RE0 and S4i. Also Ety are releasing an in-line remote version, the Hf3, in January at CES 2010...

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 23
I thought about the HF2, but I thought they still had the lean bass that characterizes the rest of the Etymotic line. I love the detail, but I ended up moving on because I liked a better balance.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 23
Supposedly they have more bass than the standard Etymotic sound. I think I've seen theme described as a warmer ER-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back