my virgin home-made IEM, quad drivers, 1 dynamic driver+ 3 balanced armature come with frequency seperation circuit
Jul 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LMJ243

New Head-Fier
Drivers:
Bass: Bose IE1
Medium: MA850
Treble: knowles ****

Frequency filter: see picture (red to treble driver, blue to bass) parallel linking to MA850 driver ( with its own frequency filter already)

other raw material:
UV GEL
UV light
cable
acoustic pipes( silicon pipes with 1.2MM inner diameter)

my finished work( succeed in making the case already, but was too impatient to do a lid, so finally made it solid, it comes with bubbles, hmmm, should have put it still for 1 hour to avoid ):

BTW, im having some problems in knowledge of how to caculate capacitance or resistor will affect the frequency curve? is there any algorithm? any recommendations, feel free to email me at : lmj243(at)gmail.com

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 10
ie1 was too big, i just had it half-buried in the UV GEL

this is toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ugly, but it's not a bad virgin trial. for base, it terminates 90% of multible driver IEMs(nobody would doubt that IE1 driver has a brilliant bass, right?). Medium is very good too. the only imperfection in acoustic is the treble, the quantity of treble isn't as sufficient as my TF10, but after modifying the EQ, its now my perfect set.

if pals on head-fi are interested, im planning 2 make my 2nd custom IEM, and upload the details......LOL

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
I see what you did there in incorporating the dynamic driver.
Very unique.
Good Job, Jim

hi Jim, i see u r everywhere! u r doing a good job, not me, haha. was supposed to deassemble the case of IE1 to make it smaller, but for remaining the original scoustic quality, i kept it that way, ugly, but i still like it....

haha, only counted by materials piling up, anyone can guess how much did it cost ?

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 10
only way to do this type of crossover accurately is to build or model and build, then measure the result and that must be done with the IEM plugged into a model ear or you miss interactions of the 'room'.

it looks like you have used polymer caps? is that right? these things are pretty terrible for audio signal and often do not have the greatest DC leakage specs either.

you can of course, build, adjust, build, adjust, build adjust to taste, but this does not mean it will be accurate. calculating the crossover without taking the port tuning, acoustic space inside cavity, or the response of the ear canal will result in various inaccuracies in the frequency and phase domains

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
only way to do this type of crossover accurately is to build or model and build, then measure the result and that must be done with the IEM plugged into a model ear or you miss interactions of the 'room'.

it looks like you have used polymer caps? is that right? these things are pretty terrible for audio signal and often do not have the greatest DC leakage specs either.

you can of course, build, adjust, build, adjust, build adjust to taste, but this does not mean it will be accurate. calculating the crossover without taking the port tuning, acoustic space inside cavity, or the response of the ear canal will result in various inaccuracies in the frequency and phase domains

sure thing! that's why i m searching for algorithms to see how components would affect the frequency curve(at the mean time i've found out some frequency curves of some drivers, though). Coz those measuring equipments are too expensive for me to afford.
anyway, this is only defined as a self-entertainment, to try what's the feeling of wearing a multiple driver earset, the feeling is not bad, :D

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 10
First of all

Don't cross like this, it will make work only harder.

Get a pre crossed dual assembly or quad assembly from sonion or Knowles.

Advantages are, hand matched by company....no hastle

Second( from my point) full range clarity driver don't make bass that well.

Get a Sony xb30ex driver or go on aliexpress and look on 15mm driver earbud.

Try arranging it in shell first without crossover just to get a perfect phase.

Then once done, start crossing it with BA assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back