My violin
Sep 5, 2003 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

squirt

500+ Head-Fier
medium.jpg

It's just a cheapo student model...i also got a basic bow some maintenence stuff including a tuner and basic violin playing DVD...

i've always wanted to learn to play a string & bow intsurment, preferably the cello but due io it's large size i'll settle for the violin, an insturment i've always considered very nice if played well and horribly, terrible when not...my playing sounds like a combination of animals after they've been struck by a car...i can read music some and understand the fingering but i still have light years before i can claim any degree of playing ability..

Anyway i know there are a few violin owners/players on Head-fi and i would like your comments and suggestions regarding the violin...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 21
Have you got a teacher, that would be the first step if not. You would also improve much faster that way.

Sep 5, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 21
It might be good to have an authority figure that will jam the violin down your throat and make you practice until for fingers bleed for the next 10 years...
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 21
Oh, and, great choice. To me, the violin is the greatest of all instruments. Here, I'll give you some tips. Be patient, learn all of the basics throughly and perfectly (yes, perfection is your main goal), and don't give up! (Giving up is for weenies, like my brother). At times, you may want to smash your violin into teeny pieces. That's understandable.

Sep 6, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 21
Hey, another violinist. May I ask anyone that plays the violin a question.

Do you enjoy playing the violin?

If you do, it is reasonable to expect that the violin will be a lifelong major part of your life.

If you don't, you may "discover" joy, but if that doesn't happen in a while you might as well go kill yourself. Or quit the violin.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Do you enjoy playing the violin?

If you do, it is reasonable to expect that the violin will be a lifelong major part of your life.

If you don't, you may "discover" joy, but if that doesn't happen in a while you might as well go kill yourself. Or quit the violin.
biggrin.gif

The greatest thing about violin is that you can use it to woo women. At least in my case, I mentioned to my now current gf that I played violin and even though she was probably not that interested in me at the time, she wanted to hear me play. So an extra date and 3 years later, I'm looking to settle down fairly soon with her.

Once you play violin for a long time, you'll never forget. Scales are indispensable
smily_headphones1.gif
. Practice them.

Sep 7, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 21
Just curious, what model violins and bow do you folks own/play?...The one i have is a Klauss Meuller "Prelude" $95.00 US and the bow is some no-name brazil wood bow $30.00. Just a slight step down from a Stradivarius
redface.gif

The method of playing the violin is pretty straight forward but of course mastering it or even getting decent with it is a far different story...right now i don't plan on using a teacher since i'm just trying the violin out but maybe someday i may want to further my efforts and hire a teacher...

Now i'm just practicing getting an even, smooth tone and hitting the desired string...i'm making a display stand for it so i can keep the thing on display in my room along with my Buffet Clarinet...i'm a former clarinet player and am re-learning to play it after a 24 year hiatus...the joys of buying reeds again
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the help in my violin project
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 21
Another idea to improve the sound of your violin is to change the strings. Most instruments come with metal strings that not only mess up your hands, but sound pretty bad.

Thomastik Dominant violin strings are highly recommended. They are used by many concert violinists but don't cost too much ~$30 a set. Don't buy the set though, the Thomastik Dominant A, D, & G strings are good but the E string is horrid. Buy the Pirastro Gold Label E string. These make a good combination.

I like the sound of gut strings (Pirastro Olive / Gold Label) but they go out of tune fairly easily because they stretch like crazy. They are also pretty expensive.

I'm using Corelli Alliance strings on my violin right now. They are made of a composite/kevlar material and I really like how they sound. I really like the Pirastro Olive goldplated E string also. Seems to have a nice tone.

Another thing to do is to make sure that the fingernails on your left hand is clipped short. This allows for more of your finger to cover the string, usually improves tone and finger dexterity.

Sep 7, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by yidimsum
Another idea to improve the sound of your violin is to change the strings. Most instruments come with metal strings that not only mess up your hands, but sound pretty bad.

Thomastik Dominant violin strings are highly recommended. They are used by many concert violinists but don't cost too much ~$30 a set. Don't buy the set though, the Thomastik Dominant A, D, & G strings are good but the E string is horrid. Buy the Pirastro Gold Label E string. These make a good combination.

I like the sound of gut strings (Pirastro Olive / Gold Label) but they go out of tune fairly easily because they stretch like crazy. They are also pretty expensive.

I'm using Corelli Alliance strings on my violin right now. They are made of a composite/kevlar material and I really like how they sound. I really like the Pirastro Olive goldplated E string also. Seems to have a nice tone.

Another thing to do is to make sure that the fingernails on your left hand is clipped short. This allows for more of your finger to cover the string, usually improves tone and finger dexterity.

Thanks for the advice...the place i got the violin has Thomastik Dominant strings but i'm not sure if they have Pirastro strings...the violin i got did indeed come with the cheapy metal strings...the thing is though would higher quality strings be worth it since the violin itself is a low end model?...the DVD i got did mention keeping your fingernails cut which i do anyway...

something i forgot to get is a shoulder rest which i think would make it more comfortable to play...anyway till i decide to smash my violin to bits, i'll keep on trukin'
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2003 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 21
I do not play violin, however as a musician I can make at least a few suggestions.
wink.gif
Making your instrument a central part if your life is the only way to ever master it. Practice physically, and then think about violin during every minute of your free time. I only practice a few hours physically each day, but I'm sure that I perform hours of mental practice on top of that, which at least for my instrument is very crucial. I would imagine that the same would apply for a stringed instrument. Good luck and have fun! But if it doesn't piss you off at least a little bit then you're not working hard enough.
biggrin.gif
Any good obsession needs to be enraging as well as enriching!
600smile.gif

Sep 7, 2003 at 9:33 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Now i'm just practicing getting an even, smooth tone and hitting the desired string...i'm making a display stand for it so i can keep the thing on display in my room along with my Buffet Clarinet...i'm a former clarinet player and am re-learning to play it after a 24 year hiatus...the joys of buying reeds again

I can't believe you aren't playing the clarinet any more. IMO the clarinet is the smoothest orchestral instrument (besides maybe the cello). Ah, in since you also live in Hawaii, I'm sure you also know Mr. Miyamura, director over at UH.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
David; proud member of the Hawaii Youth Symphony I.

Sep 8, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 21
Has anyone tried Evah Pirazzi strings? I think they sound superior to Dominant.
wink.gif

Hey squirt, right now I use a KC Strings "low end" model for $2200. As for my bow, a cheap $350 pernambuco bow.

Also, I would also like to know how much you people physically practice. I try to practice 3 hours+ every day
eek.gif

Sep 8, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Has anyone tried Evah Pirazzi strings? I think they sound superior to Dominant.
wink.gif

Hey squirt, right now I use a KC Strings "low end" model for $2200. As for my bow, a cheap $350 pernambuco bow.

Also, I would also like to know how much you people physically practice. I try to practice 3 hours+ every day
eek.gif

I had Evah Pirazzi's on for a while, but went back to Thomastik strings.. but this time, the new Infeld Blue strings for the bottom 3, the gold Infeld Red for the E. Much better projection, and more responsive, in my experience. In many cases, I think Dominant sounds better than most of what Pirastro offers. When Pirastro makes a good string, they seem to last for about 2 weeks before turning into crud. But hey, it really depends on the instrument, so experiment with various combinations (although I prefer to not mix toooo much... sticking to one manufacturer is often a good idea).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back